Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Graphic Content Below

Today was beautiful in Ausitn.  I mean look at this.


Sunny
Sunny


Temperature:




80°F
Feels Like: 79°


Although I appreciate a beautiful day, I really can't stand running without a cloud in the sky.  I never thought I'd be praying for clouds but the blaring sun takes it toll and I can not stand running on the treadmill (read:  will do anything in any condition to avoid running on the treadmill). 

I know people thought Tracey and I were crazy when we were out in -4 degree temperatures this winter training but I almost think that is better.  We were never cold!  I swear to you we weren't!  Plus there was something about being out there when there was 2 feet of snow on the ground that made you feel hard core!
Anyway, I ran outside and it was hot.  There was sweat (a lot of it), there was blood, and there were tears.  Ok I didn't cry but it sounded better.
Run
Mile 1:  11:34
Mile 2:  11:20
Mile 3:  10:51
Mile 4:  10:42
Total:  44:32
Average:  11:07

What I see about this run is progress!!!!  Not progress comparatively speaking with previous runs but progress as I added each mile.  In case you couldn't tell, my body was built more for endurance rather than speed.  I warm up slow but then I feel like I can keep on going "forever".  Let's hope that equates to going and going and going for 26.2 miles.

As any runner knows your feet take such a toll with running.  I went to salon a couple of weeks ago and had my piggies done.  I chose OPI Midnight in Moscow.  What can I say I was embracing fall. 



Anyway, while there the girl went to town scrubbing my feet.  She explained she wasn't going to charge me extra like other salons to really get off all that dead skin.  I didn't have the heart to tell her, and knew in my heart she wouldn't understand, that I WANTED those calluses.  I had earned them and they were protecting me.  I should have spoken up because look what I wound up with today... BEWARE NOT FOR THE FOOT SQUEAMISH.  Graphic content below.


Ouch!! The only other time this happened is when I needed new shoes.  I wear Saucony Progrid Ride 2 shoes and mine don't have too many miles on them.   I got them brand new shortly before the Pittsburgh Marathon last May.  During that race my one toenail rubbed one of my little piggies raw.  There was blood all over my one shoe.  It also rained that day for the entire race. 



At the end my shoes were bloody and wet.  I figured I'd just let them dry and they'd be okay.  The blood would serve as a battle scar.  Um no.  They dried and they smelled like... well like someone ran in them in the rain for 13 miles.  So I washed them in the washing machine and allowed them to air dry.  I'm pretty sure using detergent and a washing machine is a major NO NO and I'm afraid I've ruined my babies.


No I don't untie my shoes before I take them off (GASP)!!

For Someone who loves to run I sure do complain a lot.  I realize this but you'll come to enjoy it I assure you.  I just keep reminding myself why I am doing this.  Not the victory at the end of the finish line, not to calm my mind and lift my spirit. 



Look what's in the candy dish. 



What do you think?  Is it the shoes or some other problem causing my blisters?  Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Angela said...

It's the pedicure, gotta get that tough skin back chicky!!!

Kristen said...

Do you wear socks? It could be the seam? It could also be the heat in Texas...maybe you need to go up a half size to account for heat induced swelling?? Of course I would rather eat glass than run, but I am friends with lots of those marathon running people- all crazy BTW- and there are always sock shoe discussions *lol*

Obeyworld said...

lol!!! U already know I HATE the dreadmill as much if not more than you. I dont mind the heat. But i agree about the hardcore in ice, snow and -4 temps. But anything anything but the dreadmill.

Tracey said...

I was having the same problem a few weeks ago. I got new sneakers- Saucony Hurricane- which is a big change for me since I have been wearing Mizunos for the last 10 years. I also bought new socks. I haven't done a long run in them yet, but I did 5 and I didn't have any problems. It may be your sneakers- I have never washed a pair like that. I agree with Kristen too- make sure they are a half size bigger.

Love the pictures- it is going to be hard to get out there without you in the cold this year!

A-Nik said...

Beautiful day in Austin?? Wasn't there a shooting at the university??? As you can see...I have nothing to say about running.

Kristen said...

Do you wear socks? It could be the seam? It could also be the heat in Texas...maybe you need to go up a half size to account for heat induced swelling?? Of course I would rather eat glass than run, but I am friends with lots of those marathon running people- all crazy BTW- and there are always sock shoe discussions *lol*

Angela said...

It's the pedicure, gotta get that tough skin back chicky!!!

Post a Comment