Thursday, September 23, 2010

Weights and Measures

Dear Texas:

This isn't the first time I have had to write you.  Remember when we talked about Elementary school starting at 7:30 am?  WTH? Yeah well it is me again and I have another problem.  Please take a look at the calendar it is September 23rd.  Fall has officially begun.  You may now act like a good little boy (?) and give me some cool, crisp air so I can wear a sweatshirt and have successful runs. 

Kisses,

Susan


The above rant was brought on after my early afternoon "run".  I use the term run very loosely.  It was, in fact, a mere jog.  It was hot and I knew the run was going to be brutal but I just couldn't bear to go to the gym.  (Besides I didn't have time.)  So I did something I've never done before.  I did the unthinkable, something I never thought I would do.  I ran in nothing but a sports bra.  Yes I did wear shorts but I didn't wear a shirt.   It was liberating.   Not sure I'll ever do it again.  There were pics... don't think I can share them. 

Run
11:53 am
Mile 1:  11:58
Mile 2:  12:09
Mile 3:   11:30
Mile 4:  11:54
Last .2:  2:17 (11:40 pace)
4.2 miles
49:50.06
11:52 average





Yikes!  I say the heat definitely does NOT agree with me.  I set out to do a slow 5 miles but I didn't think it would be THAT slow.  I promised myself I would just listen to my body and not let my garmin dictate how fast I would run.  Whatever my body told me to do I would do.  Well Body, thanks for the painstakingly slow pace!  I also didn't do 5 miles because I ran out of water at 3 miles and when I was passing home at 4.2 miles well 4.2 miles seemed good enough. 

I got home from my run shortly before 1:00 and chose eating over a shower as I had to leave to get the kids by 1:15.    Ella and Jack had their 5 year old and 3 year old check-ups respectively today.  While in the Doctor's office I leaned over and asked Nicholas if I smelled badly.  (I had washed my face, underarms, changed shirts and put on deodorant but I needed to be sure.)  He bent forward *sniff sniff* and said, "Yeah mom, you smell like chocolate."  Apparently I sweat chocolate.  I wouldn't have been surprised if he said pumpkin (I've had a few muffins) but chocolate.  Really?  At least I didn't smell terrible. 

The beginning of the well appointments started off great.  Heart rates and blood pressure we can handle.




By the time there was mention of shots we were in full on melt down mode.  Well Ella was, Jack was still off in fa la la la la land. 

Saving these pictures to show future prom dates

Ella weighed in at 36 pounds and is 3' 5" landing her in the 25th percentile for each category.  Jack E. Bear weighed in at 32 pounds at an even 3 feet.  He is also in the 25th percentile for height but 50th percentile for weight. 



The doctor had a few suggestions for his eating habits.  I had a few suggestions for him too but I like to think of this as a family blog so we'll leave it at that. 

How can a person just look at someone and decide they NEED to be making better food choices.  Besides they were going 40 mph how did they get a good look at me anyway? I knew I should have worn a shirt.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

You are so funny- I know you looked awesome in just your sports bra- more power to you! I have yet to attempt that (you know I barely ever wear sleeveless!)

My doc is the same way with Owen. He wanted me to to do a wellness class with him. Hello! He is 5 and he is my healthiest eater. I just ignored his advice. It will sting though, when the note from the school nurse comes home and he is classified as obese. Not even close- we know best as moms. The docs don't see our kids running around and active and healthy, they just look at a number. It is unfortunate.

Glad to see you are running a lot again- looking forward to following your training for the marathon.

A-Nik said...

Did the word "robust" ever come up??

Lisa said...

That's ridiculous. My pediatricians have never said anything to me about my kids weights and they're short and solid. Chris and I both were at the age, too.

A-Nik said...

Did the word "robust" ever come up??

Post a Comment