Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Center that Barely Jiggles

Some things in life are so good they deserve their own post.  No pointless dialogue or bad jokes, just a pure, unadulterated tribute to sheer awesomeness.  I know what you're thinking, I've gone and completed an Ironman in Kona.  No.  I won mother of the year.  No.  I finally bought a ticket and won the power ball.  No.  All of that would pale in comparison to this.  I should preface this by saying, this is not for the faint of heart.  This is indulgence at its finest and worth every creamy second.  Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you:

Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake

4 tbsp butter
8 oz gingersnaps (about 30 cookies)
5 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tbsp vanilla
1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Melt butter in springform pan.  Meanwhile, in food processor, pulse gingersnaps to make fine crumbs (about 1 and 1/2 cups).
  • Stir crumbs into melted butter, then press onto bottom of pan to form crust.  Bake for 15 min.  Cool completely. (I put mine in the freezer while I prepared the batter)
  • In large bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy on medium speed. 
  • Slowly beat in sugar and salt until blended. 
  • Reduce speed to low, beat in eggs, 1 at a time, sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
  • Pour 5 cups cream-cheese batter into 8-cup liquid measuring cup, set aside. 
  • With wire whisk, stir pumpkin, cinnamon and allspice into remaining batter. 
  • Transfer pumpkin batter to another large cup or container with a spout.
  • To create zebra design, pour half of pumpkin batter into springform pan. 
  • Holding white batter about 2 feet above pan, pour about half directly into center of pumpkin batter.  Repeat procedure 3 times, decreasing the amounts of batter each time and pouring from high above pan into center, ending with white batter. 



  • Bake 1 hr 15 min to 1 hr 30 min, or until center barely jigggles. (Can I do that to myself?  I don't want my center to jiggle anymore!)
  • Cool in springform pan on cooling rack and then refrigerate overnight
  • Serve and enjoy
My cheesecake definitely didn't turn out extremely pretty but it did turn out extremely delicious.  The cheesecake "cracked" and apparently it is very hard to get it to not do so.  It involves water baths and things beyond my cooking prowess.  Go ahead and try that if you like. 



If you are going to a Halloween party or Thanksgiving dinner I urge you to make this cheesecake and share all its glory.  Do it do it!



Tell me you don't want a bite. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I don't want even one bite. Sorry. It is pretty though.
xoxo

Tracey said...

Sometimes I think I am the only one in the world who doesn't like cheesecake. You did a great job, though. I know Nate would devour it!

Anonymous said...

Well, I want the whole thing!!! Nice job - who are these others that don't like cheesecake??? G.

Carol said...

Wait a minute. Natural everything and then IMITATION vanilla?

MomSwimBikeRun said...

I know I'm standing looking in the Vanilla aisle had one in my hand and then saw this one was MUCH cheaper... UM hello it's cheaper b/c it's not real! LOL Oh well, did the trick.

Tracey said...

Sometimes I think I am the only one in the world who doesn't like cheesecake. You did a great job, though. I know Nate would devour it!

MomSwimBikeRun said...

I know I'm standing looking in the Vanilla aisle had one in my hand and then saw this one was MUCH cheaper... UM hello it's cheaper b/c it's not real! LOL Oh well, did the trick.

Anonymous said...

Well, I want the whole thing!!! Nice job - who are these others that don't like cheesecake??? G.

Post a Comment