Saturday, October 16, 2010

Daycation

Today the Tirch clan headed south to San Antonio.  We didn't have any soccer obligations or birthday parties so we decided to take a day trip.  We did have to be back for Nicholas' hockey game so we were on a tight schedule. 



George told me that the San Antonio Riverwalk was the place to go so that's where we went.  I wasn't expecting much but when I walked down the steps to the riverwalk and saw the view it really impressed me. 




We arrived around 10:30 in the morning.  The hustle and bustle hadn't started quite yet so we were able to take in all the beauty.  The Cypress trees were huge (some 100 to 200 years old) and they were impressive even for this Pittsburgh girl (We have big trees too).  In Texas a big tree is anything that is over 6 inches in diameter and you can't legally cut it down if it's larger than that without permission.  REALLY!  But these trees truly were gorgeous.  The kids were even impressed.




It didn't take long for the kids to notice the river "barges" and ask to go for a ride.  It didn't seem like a bad idea as it was 2 miles if you walked the entire river.  Have you ever walked 2 miles with a 3 year old and no stroller?  Ok then river barge it is.




Sidebar:  Is it ever ok in life to lie?  I'm not sure if it's ok but today I did.  It cost $8.25 per adult to ride the barge and $2.00 for kids ages 1 to 5.  Guess who is 5 today? 

Well yes her, but him too.


I'm sorry but his little toosh wasn't worth an extra $6.25 and besides no one paid attention to the tickets anyway.  See ya in hell if you're down there!   

The barge ride was 35 minutes but the excitement for the kids only lasted about 4.2 minutes.  It was still fun but everyone was cranky because we were all getting hungry. The architecture we saw on the ride was awe inspiring.  It's amazing what was able to built even so long ago. 







There were so many places to choose from to eat and they all had umbrella tables out so you could enjoy the view of the river

We chose The Republic of Texas.  Don't make the same mistake we did.  Don't get me wrong it was "fine" but the $70 bill for food that was no better than McDonalds was a disappointment.  I hate when I get lunch envy!

Still the view and my company were great so I'm not complaining.





We did did a little shopping and bought some cheap souvenirs (not these but aren't they adorable). 


Next stop was the Alamo.  I honestly have to tell you I NEVER thought I'd step on the grounds of the Alamo.  Although I'm not overly impressed with history (don't judge) I still was a little taken back that I, Susan Tirch, was at the Alamo. 



The weather today was totally gorgeous.  I don't think I even broke a sweat.  We couldn't have asked for a better day to explore San Antonio.  We didn't get to do everything but it's only an hour and a half drive.  If you come visit maybe we can go back!  You, yes you!!!!  Well fine, if you're not coming then at least stop back here tomorrow and keep up with our daily adventures. 


4 comments:

A-Nik said...

Awesome place!! All I can say is.... WTH is up with the Hunts ketchup?? I'd have to move back...sorry, no other ketchup but Heinz for me. Do you need a shipment?

A-Nik said...

P.S. I'm pretty sure that Andrew and Abbey were both 12 until they were 15 or so for the seafood buffet at 7 Springs. See you in hell (oh...not for that, but for SOOOOO many other reasons). Hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

So glad you went to explore San Antonio! Looks like it was fun. What's up with the crappy food-what a disappointment! I will miss you and Amy in heaven!!! LOL G.

A-Nik said...

P.S. I'm pretty sure that Andrew and Abbey were both 12 until they were 15 or so for the seafood buffet at 7 Springs. See you in hell (oh...not for that, but for SOOOOO many other reasons). Hahahahaha

Post a Comment