Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Easy as Pie

As we all know by now I spend lots of time going to physical therapy.  Not as much as I would like because my insurance has run out for the year so I'm paying for Physical Therapy out of pocket.  Anyway, my therapists have inundated me with so many exercises I feel somewhat overwhelmed.  I was expressing my concern to my primary therapist and the owner (Michael) when Michael started to ask me a few question.



Michael:  Do you work?
Me:  No, but I have three kids
Michael:  Where are they now?
Me:  They're all at school
Michael:  *smirk* What do you do all day? 

He's lucky he's nice because my initial thought was to cause him some bodily harm.  Are you serious?  What do I do all day? 

Here is my day today and this is pretty typical.

7:30 wake up, brush teeth, get dressed
7:50 get up kids
7:50 serve breakfast and pack lunches
8:15 help kids get dressed and brush their teeth
8:40 leave house
9:00 drop kids off at school
9:30 Physical Therapy
10:15 Run errand to Hobby Lobby
10:45  Grocery and Christmas Shop at Walmart
12:15 Premake dinner
1:15 Make a to-go sandwich to go pick up Ella and Jack
1:30 Stop by school office to check on a photocopy order I put in
1:40 Run to Kohls for a hostess gift
2:10 Get in car pick up line
2:45 Pick up Nicholas
3:00 Start homework
3:15 Get Ella dressed for Halloween party at dance
3:40 Leave for dance
4:15 Arrive home and put pot pie in oven
4:20  Email
4:35 Leave to go get Ella from dance
5:00 Arrive home and eat dinner
5:30 Do dishes, clean kitchen, clean floors
6:00 Leave to take Nicholas to Hockey
6:30 Drop Nicholas off for hockey/deliver hubby homemade pot pie dinner
7:00 Arrive back home, baths, bedtime routine
7:30 Sit down to blog

Trust me I'm not complaining.  I feel very fortunate to be able to stay home and take care of my children.  I just wanted to point out to anyone that might be reading; a life of a stay at home mom is not Bon Bons and Soap Operas. 

After my 12 hour day at "work" all I really have to show for it is a trunk full of Christmas presents and a Chicken Pot Pie.  I couldn't decide which one to share but figured if you've seen one Lego you've seen them all.

CHICKEN POT PIE

Ingredients

  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed

  • 1 cup sliced carrots (I didn't have carrots so I substituted corn)

  • 1 cup frozen green peas

  • 1/2 cup sliced celery (no celery here)

  • 1/3 cup butter

  • 1/3 cup chopped onion

  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed (yep didn't have that either)

  • 1 3/4 cups chicken broth

  • 2/3 cup milk  

  • 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts


  • Directions:
    In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, corn and celery (basically whatever vegetables you like). Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.


    In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent.


    Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.



    Bake in the preheated (425 degrees F) oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.


    I think Michael was right, my life IS easy as pie!  YUM!




    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    That looks rockin' good. I can almost smell the deliciousness!
    I pan fried some pork tenderloin cutlets and made spaghetti squash...that was an experience, but turned out quite tasty.
    Yours was definitely more artistic!
    Hope everyone enjoyed!

    xoxo

    Anonymous said...

    Wow - nice job! G.

    Post a Comment