Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Fall Y'all

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  That is me breathing a sigh of relief because my stent was successfully removed today.  After over 5 weeks of being miserable I am finally back to "normal".  Oh don't you worry I'm not in the clear yet.  I have another stone in my left kidney.  It is larger than the one that didn't pass on its own.  Due to that and several other boring biological factors, it's not likely that this stone will leave on its own.  So what does that mean? ANOTHER surgery.  I could wait it out but that would probably mean on January 1st, with the start of my new deductible, it would start giving me trouble.  I've decided to have the stone blasted but I probably won't do it until December.  I get to do all kinds of stuff in the meantime like a 24 hour urine collection, blood work and a kidney ultrasound.  The good news is I've decided to have an elective procedure done at the same time as the "blast".  You'll all be glad to know I won't be peeing my pants anymore when I cough, sneeze, laugh or run.  (If you've had multiple kids you're laughing (and peeing) right now, if you haven't you're appalled and I'm sorry.) 

On to better things.  Today was a real dose of fall in Texas.  The kind of fall that everyone loves.  The beautiful, clear, blue skies with highs in the low 70s.  I was actually chilly all day and I used my seat and steering wheel warmers this morning. 

I decided today was a good day for soup.  George makes the best potato soup.  EVERYONE in my family loves it.  Today was the perfect day for warm, delicious, bacony, cheesey potato soup. 

GEORGE'S POTATO SOUP

Ingredients:
1 lb thick sliced bacon, chopped
1 large red onion diced
5 c. potatoes, cubed
2 family size cans cream of chicken soup
16 oz sour cream
4 c. milk
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)

Directions:

Chop bacon, add to pan and fry until crisp

Add onion and saute 2 to 3 minutes. Drain.

Cook potatoes in 2 cups water for 10 to 15 minutes.   It is important to use just 2 cups of water.  No more or no less.   This will help your soup be the right consistency. 

Stir in soup, sour cream, bacon and onions.

Add milk gradually, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat to serving temperature. DO NOT BOIL.

Serve with a nice chewy piece of sourdough bread and grated cheddar cheese.  I assure you this soup does not disappoint.  It may, however, clog your arteries so prepare and eat at your own risk.  We usually make this soup for "special occasions".  Today's occasion?  Pumpkin Carving Day.

Pumpkin carving isn't like it used to be.  I remember drawing a few triangles on a pumpkin and a smile with a jagged tooth and my mom would cut it out.  Now you can buy a kit for $4 and create yourself some pretty cool looking pumpkins. 

First we cleaned:







Then we George carved:




Then I tortured the children by making them pose for pictures:












Then we enjoyed the fruits of our George's labor:





Fall has arrived just in time for Halloween and we are all jumping for joy!




5 comments:

Tracey said...

Great pictures! I told Nate George had him beat on the pumpkin carving and he didn't believe me until he looked at the pics. Nice job, George!

So happy to hear you had the stent removed, but I am sorry you have to go through it again (I am, however, jealous of this elective procedure- I need it badly!)

Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, look how engaged Jack is!!! He's smiling even! Yeah!
The pumpkins look spooktacular!

And sorry you have to have another stone removed, but lucky you! Know what I mean?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

OUT OUT OUT - and make it the last one! Gee - poor Susan - on the other hand - what fun with the pumpkins and the pototo soup - you have a wonderful family! G.

Tracey said...

Great pictures! I told Nate George had him beat on the pumpkin carving and he didn't believe me until he looked at the pics. Nice job, George!

So happy to hear you had the stent removed, but I am sorry you have to go through it again (I am, however, jealous of this elective procedure- I need it badly!)

Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, look how engaged Jack is!!! He's smiling even! Yeah!
The pumpkins look spooktacular!

And sorry you have to have another stone removed, but lucky you! Know what I mean?

xoxo

Post a Comment