Monday, October 25, 2010

Isn't That Special

We were sitting at dinner this evening when Nicholas declared he had decided on his special Halloween breakfast.  Um excuse me but I didn't know that I had to do anything special for Halloween but buy candy and costumes.  His request for his "special" Halloween breakfast was french toast with candy corn on top. We all know I have plenty of that lying around the house.  That is easy enough but why am I starting this tradition? 

All the special breakfast talk got us talking about Christmas morning and how we always have cinnamon rolls.  So I got to thinking I bet I could make pumpkin cinnamon rolls.  Luckily for all you pumpkin haters I don't have any yeast in the house so I had to brainstorm. 

One of these days there will be pumpkin cinnamon rolls though because look at these babies. 

source
The whole special breakfast got me thinking about what was special to me when I was younger.  Of course there were MANY pancake, french toast, and waffle breakfasts.  My mom made that stuff all the time so it was great but not "special". 

I remember when my stepdad had this guy working for him.  I was probably in 7th or 8th grade.  He was a handy man of sorts and he was a kind, generous man.  He always seemed to have a bakery bag with him.  One day I got brave and asked him what was inside.  It was an apple fritter.  He offered me the fritter but I felt ashamed for asking and I tried to refuse it.  He insisted I take it so I did.  I ran into the house and sat down at the table ALL ALONE and enjoyed all it's sugar, apple glazed goodness.  It was more like a donut than a fritter but it was pure heaven.  I'm sure this thing had a million calories and equal grams of fat but at age 14 those things really didn't hit my radar.  I think I eventually told my mom about my secret treat and she wound up buying some for the whole family to enjoy.  None of them ever tasted as good as the one I savored on my own that day. 

Knowing there was no way I could recreate THAT special apple fritter I set out to make a different kind.  Think funnel cake with apples. 

APPLE FRITTERS


Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 quarts oil for deep frying
  • 4 large apples, peeled and cored
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
  2. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until smooth.  Fold in apples. 
  3. Heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) in a deep fryer or heavy bottomed deep pot or skillet.
  4. Dice apples into small bite size pieces. Use a small ice cream scoop to and fry a SMALL ball, a few at a time, turning once, until golden. Do not use too much batter as they will not cook all the way through without burning.
  5. Drain on paper towels and dust with confectioners' sugar.

    These are definitely a good sweet treat.  I think you could roll them in sugar, or sugar and cinnamon instead of powdered sugar.  You could probably even add a glaze and they'd be fantastic.  Today I just kept it simple and dusted them with powered sugar.



    Maybe I should just put a candy corn on top and call it breakfast.  Now isn't that special? 

    9 comments:

    beachgooloo said...

    Lol awwwww we do cinnamon rolls Christmas morning too! Ummm I really want the pumpkin cinnamon roll recipe! Yummi!

    Angela Filpot said...

    This post made my mouth water. YUM.

    Anonymous said...

    Boy just look what you can do when you don't have to work!!! G.

    Anonymous said...

    Yum.
    I got nothin in the cooking department today.
    Hmpf.

    xoxo

    Lisa said...

    I love to bake, too. We always have monkey bread and breakfast casserole on Christmas morning.

    A-Nik said...

    LOL - "I'll make that breakfast casserole. Everyone loves it!". Hahahahahahaha

    Lisa said...

    I love to bake, too. We always have monkey bread and breakfast casserole on Christmas morning.

    Anonymous said...

    Boy just look what you can do when you don't have to work!!! G.

    Angela Filpot said...

    This post made my mouth water. YUM.

    Post a Comment