Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Moment That Makes Me Smile

Awwwwwwww what a glorious day!!!  There were too many good things that happened today to choose my favorite but we might as well take a stab at you guessing right? 

I bet you think it was the glorious sky and the 80 degree temperatures in October?



WRONG actually!  I love the beautiful blue skies but I am eagerly awaiting a little bit cooler temperatures.  Try again. 

Maybe you need a hint about where I've been today. 


Yep I was to the doctor AGAIN today.   Remember last week's MRI?  Today I was scheduled to see the doctor and review the results.  I fully expected to be scheduled for surgery today.  The doctor suspected at my last visit (before the MRI) that I had a torn ligament between two of the bones in my wrist.  He said that he would do surgery.  I would be left with a huge scar and would wear a cast for 6 weeks. 

Sidebar:  I have an irrational fear of casts.  After my first shoulder surgery my doctor casted my wrist.  The swelling from my shoulder caused swelling in my lower arm as well causing the cast to get so tight I felt as though it were cutting off my circulation.  I did what any normal, rational person would do.  I went to the ER and DEMANDED that the cast be removed.  The next day I followed up with my surgeon and pretty much in no uncertain terms told him the cast wasn't going back on.  I can't explain to you the fear I have but I can tell you that the thought of putting a cast on my arm makes me hyperventilate.  The whole time it was on I felt like I couldn't breath.  I felt like an elephant was on my chest.  Even now, typing this out I'm getting antsy.  I know it seems absolutely ridiculous and normally I'm a pretty sane person.  All I can tell you is it is a fear, it's real and yes it's C.R.A.Z.Y.  Or as my doctor like to put it, "not your average reaction to wearing a cast". 

I guess you've figured out where all this is going right?  The results of the MRI showed a very different picture than the doctor suspected.  I do have a tiny tear of the ligament but it is not nearly as bad as he had suspected.  When I was in the office almost a month ago I had a lot of swelling in my wrist and had a lot of pain.  Since then I have been wearing a wrist brace to help immobilize my wrist and therefore, keep the swelling down.  Today, my wrist is pretty much pain free (most of the time) and I have little to no swelling.  The doctor suspects that when I was in the office 4 weeks ago I had a sprain in my wrist and the sprain was causing the pain rather than the torn ligament.  The good news is I don't need surgery.  His orders?   Go about my daily life, live and only come back if it hurts.  I can definitely handle that.  I left the office so relieved that there would be no surgery and there would be no cast! 

So that's my happiest moment right?  WRONG that wasn't the happiest moment either.  Wow this must be REALLY good. 

I know what you're thinking.  I've gone and made something fabulous along the lines of Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake.  Why yes, yes, yes I did! 

I'll preface this recipe by saying that I call it "easy" because I'm using a box cake and just adding a few ingredients.  I'd love to be baking cakes from scratch but let's face it, I'm a mom and I'm pressed for time.  Saving a few extra steps with the cake allowed me to make my own frosting and THAT is worth it.  I'm not a professional by any means.  I'm just a mom trying to make yummy treats for my family and myself to enjoy.  I'll share my flops and triumphs.  I'll let you know when something was ok and when something was to die for. 

Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake
with Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting

Cake
  • 1 (18 ounce) package spice cake mix
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 eggs
Frosting
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 (16 ounce package) powdered sugar (about 4 cups)











To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F
Grease baking pan of your choice; set aside.
Beat cake mix, pumpkin, mayonaise and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake 32 to 35 minute or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

To make the Frosting:
Beat cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
Gradually add sugar, beating after each addition until well blended.
Spread over cooled cake
Store any leftovers in refrigerator.


As per usual my cake didn't turn out the prettiest but it did turn out pretty darn tasty.  This cream cheese frosting will definitely be making an appearance again.  I smell carrot cake.  When is carrot season?  Easter?  What was I talking about?  Oh yes, the cake.  George gave this cake a 9.5 out of 10.  That's all I'm sayin'. 



But if you're thinking when the sweet creamy frosting, with a hint of vanilla, topping the moist pumpkin spice passed my lips was my happiest moment, you'd be WRONG.   

Actually every Monday through Friday I have at least one happy moment.  One moment in time where I my heart fills up with love and I can't help but smile ear to ear.  When everything around me stops, I'm not thinking about the day's stress, the laundry that needs to be done, the dinner that needs cooked or the bills that have to be paid.  I'm thinking of his sweet innocence. 


Seeing his little face come out of school, happy, healthy and smiling and eagerly making his way to the car far outweighs any other moment that makes me smile each day.  Let's face it, the reason I want blue skies, a healthy arm, and delicious pumpkin goodness is really for him, for all of them.  I love them dearly and if that's WRONG I don't want to be right. 



4 comments:

Obeyworld said...

awwww <3 u had a great day!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm verklempt...and have a tear.
xoxo
P.S. and sorta gagging at the pumpkin-mayo-cake combo! Just sayin'

A-Nik said...

<3

Anonymous said...

Brought tears to my eyes. I KNOW how you feel! Oh and spice cake is my absolute favorite!! G.

Post a Comment