Thursday, October 21, 2010

Painted Little Pumpkins

When I was younger my mom and sisters would get together and make all kinds of crafty projects.  My mom was particularly crafty.  She baked, she canned, she made pine cone wreaths, she painted, she even homemade all our Halloween costumes.  I remember one weekend when my sister was set out to make a stuffed dog, as a baby gift, FROM SCRATCH.  Um hello, go out and buy a stuffed animal at Hills (Walmart is the new Hills).  I remember there being batting all over the place, patterns with fur pinned and a lot of swearing (see should have bought the damn dog).  I never understood it but they seemed to really be having fun.  I declared that day that I had not received the artsy, fartsy, bakesy, wakesy, craft gene.


My Mom, sister Sara, Me and sister Amy

I don't think it was until I became a mother that I realized I HAD gotten the gene.  It must have just been inactivated due the the trauma I suffered the day of the dog making.  I really enjoy doing crafts with my kids.  They might not turn out perfect works of art (even mine) but my kids have so much fun.  Even though I am type A I let the kids do these pumpkins 100% BY THEMSELVES and it makes them so proud. 

First grab your pumpkins (and the orange fruit from the gourd family too) and make sure they are wearing paint shirts. 



Allow the kids to paint their pumpkins black.  I just used black acrylic paint and foam brushes (they both worked great).  Resist the urge to do anything for them including rotating the pumpkin to show them the unpainted side.  This will get you dirty looks and a very firm, "I do it by MYSELF".  I'll let you guess who said that. 




The pumpkins will definitely need two coats of paint.  You'll need to let the pumpkins dry for a couple of hours in between coats.  This means you will endure 2 hours of, "Are they dry yet?  Are they dry yet?  How 'bout now? Are they dry yet?" 

After the second coat was dry I used silver spray glitter paint to coat the pumpkins.  At this point the nozzle broke off and the glitter spray wouldn't stop spraying erratically in several different directions.  There may or may not have been swearing but luckily I decided to do this after the kids were in bed.  Ok I'm trying to let go but I couldn't let them operate a spray can and thank God I didn't.  Imagine prying the spraying glitter from Jack's hot little "I do it MYSELF" hands. 

At this point you should have a black, glitter sprayed, completely dried overnight pumpkin.  Be prepared to endure more questions about the pumpkin for the next 6 to 8 hours while you wait for everyone to be home from school to decorate the pumpkins.  Apparently saying, "We'll decorate the pumpkins AFTER school" has to be said 1452 times before it registers with a three year old.


Once everyone was finally home from school we set out our supplies.  We had glitter glue and scrapbook stickers to decorate with.  The glitter glue was good in theory, but it ran and it was very messy.  The scrapbook stickers were great.  The looked good, stuck to the pumpkins and were easy for the kids to do.  Best of all?  No mess.  Next time, if there is a next time, I would buy scrapbook letters too.  Like I said the glitter glue ran and so our BOOs looked like they were melting.   

Nevertheless, the kids had a really great time.  I guess being craftsy waftsy isn't so bad after all.










By the way, I am having my surgery tomorrow to have my kidney stone removed.  The CT scan confirmed the stone is still there.  Seeing as it has been almost a month since my first symptoms occurred, it is unlikely it is going to pass on its own.  I never thought I'd be talking about such things on the web!  Wow!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember a really cool painted, wooden flag I got from a cousin many years ago. I still have it. Damn genetics! :-)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love that Ella puts her hand on her hip for pictures, just like you do!!!

A-Nik said...

I was just going to say the Ella "hand on hip" comment. LMAO!!!
Get that GD picture off of your blog. That has to be the worst pic I have ever taken...EVER!!! I look about 50 years older than the rest of you.
I remember the dog. My little cousin had that dog forever!!! It was nothing but a lumpy pile of fabric when he finally packed it away. It means more when it's made with love...there must've been some love in there with all of the swearing!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Those were really fun days "you and your group..." Glad you finally see you DID get the gene. Now you are making all of us look bad. Good idea with the paint shirts..not sure I would have thought of that! Like the way you threw in the sx comment at the last minute.

Love you. G.

Anonymous said...

Those were really fun days "you and your group..." Glad you finally see you DID get the gene. Now you are making all of us look bad. Good idea with the paint shirts..not sure I would have thought of that! Like the way you threw in the sx comment at the last minute.

Love you. G.

Post a Comment