Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Susan Honey, Can you get your Grammy a Beer and other Thanksgiving Memories

I think I've told you before but I have spent most thanksgivings in my life with my dad and my dad's side of the family.  I know I reminisce a lot on the blog but when you've done nothing worth speaking of all day, you have to look to the past for blog inspiration.  The truth is Thanksgiving HAS been on my mind so it's really not out of the blue. 

So yes Thanksgiving was usually spent with my dad, his mother, my Aunt Susan, Uncle Jim, and my cousins Maria, Christopher and Erin.  My cousin Christopher passed away my last year of college and I'll never forget the way it made me feel.  I guess you always wish for one more moment in time.  I mourn the loss of being able to know him as a "true adult" but I know he's looking down on us laughing like we always did when we were together. 

Through the powers of Facebook I think my cousin Maria and Erin and I are pretty close.  I actually spend most evenings chatting away with Maria on Facebook.  Oh the powers of the Internet. 

Aunt Susan, Uncle Jim, Erin and her family (Bill, Christopher and Zoe)

Maria and I

The point is, I have such fond memories of being with my dad and his extended family on Thanksgiving.  We watched football and played Trivial Pursuit.  We all took turns getting Grammy a beer and we laughed and ate non stop.  My Aunt Susan is probably one of the best cooks I know.  Her Thanksgiving dinner is worthy of a dying man's last meal.  I'm not exaggerating it's that good. 

So now that my dad is coming to Texas for Thanksgiving I feel like I have a LOT to live up to.  I know he won't judge or compare but I put this type of pressure on myself because I'm just that dumb.  Rather than try to "keep up" with my Aunt Susan (not possible), I've decided I am going to create a Thanksgiving dinner of my own.  Now don't worry I'm not bucking the system entirely but I'm not making my Aunt Susan's menu, my mom's menu or my sisters' menu.  This is Thanksgiving Susan style. 

THANKSGIVING MENU
 Turkey with Pan Gravy (don't mess with a good thing)
Zesty Cornbread Stuffing
New World Succotash (bacon, carrots, corn, edamame)
Sweet Potato Pudding with Marshmallow Meringue
Classic Cranberry Sauce (because who really eats this anyway)
Buttermilk Chive Mashed Potatoes
Pumpkin Pie (because George says I have to)
Apple Cherry Lattice Pie (because cherry pie is my dad's favorite)

I can totally picture Nicholas, Ella and Jack sitting around one day remembering how good mom's succotash was.  It's my dream, let me live it. Now somebody get me a beer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did not!!!
Thanks for the giggles, the tears, and the chats.

Love you,
Fav

beachgooloo said...

Awe!!!!

A-Nik said...

Gross!!! You are going to make your kids eat succotash???? Oh...yeah....they'll remember this Thanksgiving alright! LOL!! You have to make pumpkin pie, George is right, but you have to use Mom's recipe...and don't cheat and use the pumpkin pie spice, use all of the spices seperately!!! It tastes much better!

My memories of being at Grammy's were always getting to clean her ash trays. I would go around the whole house, empty the ashtrays, then clean them and put them back. She always paid me a dollar! I loved that job!!! Good Lord...what was I thinking???

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww so sweet - memories...........G.

beachgooloo said...

Awe!!!!

Anonymous said...

You did not!!!
Thanks for the giggles, the tears, and the chats.

Love you,
Fav

A-Nik said...

Gross!!! You are going to make your kids eat succotash???? Oh...yeah....they'll remember this Thanksgiving alright! LOL!! You have to make pumpkin pie, George is right, but you have to use Mom's recipe...and don't cheat and use the pumpkin pie spice, use all of the spices seperately!!! It tastes much better!

My memories of being at Grammy's were always getting to clean her ash trays. I would go around the whole house, empty the ashtrays, then clean them and put them back. She always paid me a dollar! I loved that job!!! Good Lord...what was I thinking???

Post a Comment