Monday, October 18, 2010

Waiting on a Doctor

I wish I had a fun exciting story of something really great I did today but I don't.  I apologize in advance for this post. 

After Nicholas and Ella were off to school Jack and I headed to my doctor's appointment with my shoulder ortho.  My appointment was at 9:30, at almost 11:00 I expressed my disgust on Facebook. 

Susan Diersing Tirch I'm really really really good at waiting for doctors


    • Jennifer  Well everyone should be good at something! :)
      6 hours ago ·

    • Susan Diersing Tirch Been an hour and a half with a three year old...I'm damn good
      6 hours ago ·

    • Wendy I know where you're coming from (minus the three yr old but add a 74 yr old) I spend most of my time waiting for some doctor... the plus side, I've read some many magazines I have a mountain of recipes to try! :-) Try to have a good day! :-)
      6 hours ago ·

    • Loni It wouldn't hurt to let the dr know (someday, when you get to see him) that you've been waiting that long! 15 minutes is acceptable. Anything over that, and I get cranky!
      6 hours ago ·

    • Jennifer  Oh, that's nuts!
      6 hours ago ·

    • Susan Diersing Tirch Waited 2 hours, when he came in he apologized and said he was waiting on the PT note... so maybe I should yell at my PT. lol
      4 hours ago ·

    • Judy ‎@ Susan- for future ref. If you know you have a recheck with the dr, ask PT to give you a note to take with you! Just give them a couple of days notice and keep asking them until they give you one- we do it all the time.
      about an hour ago
Ugh... I was finally seen at almost 11:30.  I understand that doctors run late and that circumstances arise but waiting 2 hours for a doctor's appointment is not acceptable.  I'm glad Jack was in a good mood. We entertained ourselves.
We read magazines:

 We wagged our tongues



We stared at the four walls.

Still no doctor.

We ate Teddy Grahams (well he did, I did not). 



I even resorted to creating optical illusions... aren't I creative?  (No one was harmed in the taking of this picture.)


Still no doctor.


When my doc did come in he was nice and he listened to and answered all my questions.  Something you think would happen at every appointment but at previous appointments I felt as though he was rushed and trying to escape the room ASAP.

The bad news is he told me there would be little possibility I can train for the marathon.  He feels as though it is too much too soon.  He didn't rule it out entirely but asked me to not run or do any arm motions on the elliptical for one full week.  He wants to decrease the inflammation.  Ultimately the decision is up to me, as he does not see any long term effects of me training.  The problem is the pain.  Ugh!  Are my dreams of 26.2 in February 2011 dead?

He's going to see me again in three weeks and we are semi planning to have arthroscopic surgery in about 6 weeks.  He said we are "not there yet" but he definitely thinks I can get better range with my arm.  He let me know, in his opinion, I will probably never be 100% again.  I'm really not concerned, however, because I have done a little experiment with George and I think I already have better (or the same) range of motion as he. 

What's up?  Am I drunk? 


I always aspire to be better than George so I might just have the surgery to spite him.  *wink wink*  Seriously, if it helps me gain more range then I am all for it.  I guess we'll see in 6 weeks.  dun dun dun To be continued....

By the way do you like my Do Life T-shirt?  If you do go here and get yours.  LOVES! 

Ok all your lurkers... I know you're out there... now is your time to weigh in.  Leave you comment and let me know.  Have I mentioned I love comments?  No I haven't?  Well, I do so leave me a comment and show me some comment love. 
Is 2 hours too long to wait for a doctor? 
Should I train for the marathon or not? 

9 comments:

george said...

That was a good post. I don't see anything wrong with the wait at the doctor's office

Angela Filpot said...

For some reason those pics of you and George cracked me up. LOVE IT!! Waiting 2 hours stinks!!! I have a friend whose gyno fired her because she was late and they made her reschedule and my friend had the nerve to make the point that she ALWAYS waited for the Doctor but that the DR couldn't wait a few minutes for HER, this one time. Unfortunately, our time is just not as important as theirs (in their minds).

BTW, I didn't think it was possible but Jack is getting even cuter. Or more cute. Whatever.

XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Two hours IS definitely too long to wait for any doctor; don't train if the doc says no - keep exercising, but put the marathon off until you have to go ahead. He is the professional so why go if you aren't going to listen to what he has to say? Just sayin' G.

Anonymous said...

We need to talk about this.
If Doc says no, then don't do it.
2 hours is too long....but it happens sometimes...out of everyone's control sometimes...believe me, it's frustrating.

xoxo

Lisa said...

I think Jack must be a perfect child because Emily and Sarah would never have waited 2 hours with me. It would have been torture and my BP would have been through the roof.

I think that you'll be able to do the marathon at some point, but that maybe this isn't the marathon you'll be running. If the doctor says to take it easy then you should.

Lisa

Tracey said...

2 hours? That is insane. My kids never would have lasted that long- I wouldn't have either! As for the marathon, I think you should listen to your doctor. There are always more marathons you can train for. Maybe one together next fall :) It isn't worth being in pain. I am sure you would much rather train when you feel 100% and you can put your all into it. It doesn't mean you shouldn't run, but marathon training requires A LOT of miles and if it is going to cause you pain, it isn't worth it. I took over 7 months off of training when I broke my elbow and it was definitely the best thing I ever did. Just my opinion.

I love the pictures of you and George- he is a good sport!

Lisa said...

I think Jack must be a perfect child because Emily and Sarah would never have waited 2 hours with me. It would have been torture and my BP would have been through the roof.

I think that you'll be able to do the marathon at some point, but that maybe this isn't the marathon you'll be running. If the doctor says to take it easy then you should.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

We need to talk about this.
If Doc says no, then don't do it.
2 hours is too long....but it happens sometimes...out of everyone's control sometimes...believe me, it's frustrating.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Two hours IS definitely too long to wait for any doctor; don't train if the doc says no - keep exercising, but put the marathon off until you have to go ahead. He is the professional so why go if you aren't going to listen to what he has to say? Just sayin' G.

Post a Comment