Friday, November 12, 2010

Go Fish

I just want to point out that I have NOT been reporting all of my workouts like I should be.  After all, isn't this supposed to be partly a training blog?  In my defense, sometimes a photo session supersedes my training on the blog and I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear all about my treadmill runs. 

But then days like today happen where all I did was the normal hum drum and all the sudden a treadmill run seems really interesting.  It's either that or I tell you Go Fish stories.  You decide. 


Susan, do you have any exciting stories from today?  Go fish! 
Susan, do you have a dull and boring treadmill story?  Why yes, yes, yes I do.

The treadmill aka the dreadmill; we have a hate/hate relationship.  I don't know what it is about the treadmill really but I despise it.  I find it monotonous and very boring.  Even when I was able to run sub 10:00 minute miles "running" at above 5.0 mph on the treadmill was hard.  I guess I just like being able to slow down and speed up whenever I want. 

As a result, I like to play little games on the treadmill (imagine that, me playing games) to try to make the time go by faster and to increase my overall "speed".  My training plan called for 3 miles both Wednesday and today.  On Wednesday I tackled my 3 miles by doing half mile intervals at 5.0 mph and 6.0 mph.  I ended the 3 miles in 32:48.  Today, I decided I didn't like that game and I would try a new tactic and see if I could "beat" Wednesday's time.  I started at 5.0 mph and increased 0.1 mph each .25 miles.  The last half mile I ran at 6.0 mph.  I ended in 33:15.  No matter which way I "sliced" it, the run felt like an eternity. 

3 miles and all these numbers got me thinking about the 5K.  3.1 miles of essentially an all out sprint.  You go as fast as you can just trying not to pee your pants to set a new PR (personal record).  I really haven't done that many 5Ks.  I actually haven't done that many races.  In fact, if you must know (and you must) I have been working out for two and a half years but I've only been REALLY running for just over a year. 

My first 5K results:

Susan Tirch, 34*, Valencia, PA              31:18   10:06

My last 5K results:

Susan Tirch F 35, Valencia, PA           29:29       09:29



We always did the Steelers Gatorade 5K and both my first and my last 5K results are from that race (2008 and 2009).  If you live in Pittsburgh and you want a fast, fun course then I highly recommend this race.  I'm really bummed that I didn't get to do this race in 2010.  I was hoping for a lot faster finish.  I shaved over 30 seconds from 2008 to 2009 and hoped I'd do the same in 2010, you know since I'm a real runner now and all.  I guess that PR will have to wait for another day. 

Until then I'll keep on reporting all my fun and games, including Go Fish.

3 comments:

Tracey said...

Don't forget the St. Kilian's 5k!

nusz9 said...

Take a big towel from the Lifetime locker roon and cover that screen and STOP looking at it. It will always feel like forever when your not going anywhere. Trust me it helps

nusz9 said...

Take a big towel from the Lifetime locker roon and cover that screen and STOP looking at it. It will always feel like forever when your not going anywhere. Trust me it helps

Post a Comment