Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gobble Gobble

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  Today I am so thankful for my family and that my Dad was able to make the trip to spend Thanksgiving with us.



I'm thankful that we were all able to sit down at the table together and enjoy a meal.  I didn't even let it bother me that it was on paper plates.  There will be plenty of years for me to use all my "fancy schmancy" stuff when it's not in storage.  Funny the food didn't taste any different on paper anyway.


I know when I posted my Thanksgiving Menu back in October everyone laughed at my New World Succotash but this stuff was the bomb.  Um hello, anything with bacon is the bomb.  This isn't the kind of thing you bother making on a Tuesday night but it was so good for this special occasion.  It was better than boring old corn and a good substitute for my family who doesn't like green bean casserole.  I know, they're weird.  Try this for Christmas!

New World Succotash

Ingredients
2 Slices thick-cut bacon (You may choose to use more like I.  In fact, next time I'm using the whole pound.)
4 medium carrots
3 cups fresh corn kernels (I used frozen and it was just as good)
1 bag (1 lb) frozen shelled edamame
1 lemon
1/4 c snipped fresh chives (I FORGOT these.. oops)
1/8 tsp cayenne salt (just realized when re-reading I used 1/4 tsp... it worked)

Directions
Cook bacon until crisp
Cut carrots into quarters length wise then cut crosswise at an angle into 1.5 inch pieces
Drain bacon and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat
Add carrots to the skillet with 1/4 cup water
Cover and cook 6 minutes
Add corn and edamame and cook for 10 minutes
Squeeze 1 tablespoon lemon juice into large bowl
Add veggies, chives, cayenne and salt
Toss to combine
Crumble bacon over top and serve


I also made homemade cranberry sauce which I don't think I've ever had.  It was so easy and I highly suggest not serving cranberry in the shape of a can ever again .

Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients

1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
1 3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 orange slice
1 tsp orange peel

Directions

Combine all ingredients and stir over high for 3 minutes until sugar melts and water starts to boil
Reduce heat and simmer until thick (about 15 minutes)
Discard orange slice
Chill and serve

Totally worth the 20 minutes! 

In case anyone was wondering, and let's face it who wasn't, my pies passed with flying colors!  My dad admitted that he thought the cherry/apple lattice pie sounded horrible but he and George both raved about it.  The pumpkin pie tasted like moms but, for whatever reason, recipes never turn out tasting JUST like your moms. 

Thank you to everyone who reads my blog.  I know I've said it before but it really means so much to me.  It might seem like no big deal to most of you but to me my blog is sharing a part of me.  The fact that you care enough to be a part of my life is something to be truly thankful for!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely missed you and yours this Thanksgiving! Glad you had a wonderful meal and your dad to share it with. Did you have enough turkey?
xoxo
P.S. Love the pics!

Anonymous said...

It is so nice that you have the time to be able to try new things and make new traditions. It's awesome. You didn't show the turkey so I guess you ran out!! hahahahah xoxoxo G.

Anonymous said...

Definitely missed you and yours this Thanksgiving! Glad you had a wonderful meal and your dad to share it with. Did you have enough turkey?
xoxo
P.S. Love the pics!

Post a Comment