Sunday, November 21, 2010

I Run So I Can Eat

One thing I'd really like to change about myself is my uncanny ability to procrastinate.  I had my alarm set for 6:30 am to get up and run the 10 miles on my training plan.  When the alarm went off and I glanced out the window and saw darkness and heard the wind howling, I decided my bed was much more inviting. 

Truth be told I couldn't fall back asleep and was up out of bed by 7:30 anyway.  I should have just got my butt up out of bed and run.   Instead, I had to wait until about 2:00 in the afternoon when George was back from picking up my Dad at the San Antonio airport. 

If I had known it was going to be 80 degrees today I never would have put it off.  I'll be honest, my heart wasn't into the run.  I even tried to get out of it letting George know I didn't want to go.  He just simply said, "You're going.  Go get dressed."   Thanks George!  Have I told you lately that I love you?



Since I hate the out and back run, George drove me out 10 miles and dropped me off and I had to run home.  As it turns out I was only 9.74 miles from home.  When I arrived at the door I decided 9.74 was good enough.  George and my dad thought that it was pretty lame to stop at 9.74 but my body had been screaming since the first step so I was more than happy to stop at 9.74 and didn't feel a bit bad about it.



Run
Mile 1:  11:13
Mile 2:  11:36
Mile 3:  11:58
Mile 4:  11:54
Mile 5:  11:24
Mile 6:  12:03
Mile 7:  11:20
Mile 8:  11:03
Mile 9:  11:16
Mile 9.74:  8:12 (11:06 pace)
Total:  1:52:04
Average:  11:30

This run sucked before it started.  If you're not into it mentally then it's really hard to get into it physically.  Looking on the bright side, I had no desire to run today and I ran 9.74 miles.  I'll take it!  I'm confident that my training would have suffered if I had not run today and even if I cut it .26 miles short I still ran for almost 2 hours.

After all that running there was only one thing left to do... EAT.  When my dad is in town we eat!  We're trying to take him to all our favorite places that we've discovered since moving to Austin.  We started tonight at Hyde Park Bar and Grille


This is one of the first places we ate when we moved here (thanks Groupon).  The last time we ate here I had food envy when George ordered the Horseshoe.  Tonight I didn't make the same mistake and shared the horseshoe with my dad.

Originally served on a horseshoe shaped plate, this dish starts with Texas toast topped with 8 ounces of ground sirloin and cheddar cheese, then it is smothered with a velvety cheese sauce, piled high with Hyde Park Fries, more cheese sauce, diced tomatoes and fresh scallions. This dish is comfort food at its best!.

I think it is safe to say I ate back all the calories I had burned on my run this afternoon.  Oh well, it was worth it.  Dad rating:  B+



It didn't end there.  We had to go for Ice Cream at the famous Amy's Ice Cream.  Amy's has been featured on Man vs. Food and it's pretty much touted as the best ice cream in Austin.


I had the pumpkin ice cream with hot caramel sauce and pecans (tiny size).  It was the best ice cream combination I've ever had.  I think everyone had ice cream envy!  Even so... Dad Rating:  B+


Don't worry we'll be hitting the gym in the morning to prevent ourselves form packing on the pounds.  Sorry George that you have to work.  Have I told you lately that I love you?

P.S.  Camera was shipped out Saturday to be fixed.  I should have it back in 7 to 10 days.  Until then you'll have to excuse lack luster Droid photos that are still better than my old camera. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad your dad is there with you! Have a blast.
Is he going to run with you? Don't expect me to do so whenever I visit. Just sayin.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are having fun. Good go with the run! I just LOVE watching! xoxo G.

Anonymous said...

So glad your dad is there with you! Have a blast.
Is he going to run with you? Don't expect me to do so whenever I visit. Just sayin.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are having fun. Good go with the run! I just LOVE watching! xoxo G.

Post a Comment