Saturday, November 13, 2010

Keeping Up Team Morale

When Ella first started soccer I was afraid she would be out there picking flowers and holding hands with her girlfriends and not be overly interested. She is a girly girl but I had no intentions on telling her she couldn't play soccer.  So what if she wore all pink and wanted a pink ball.



From her first practice she did such a great job.  She might have been "prancing" on her toes but she was hustling after the ball.  She might have had a silly grin on her face the whole time but she was having fun.  She might have looked over the the sidelines a lot to look for reassurance but she was scoring lots of goals.


So when today came, her last game, and I thought back on all she had learned and accomplished I was pretty proud.  My girly girl, was actually able to get a little rough and tough. 



My girly girl became a soccer girl.


When the trophy ceremony came around, and Ella's coach bent down on one knee to talk to all the players, I anxiously awaited what he would have to say about her. 



The most improved player?  The kid who wasn't afraid to go after the ball?  The constant driving force behind a lot of team goals?  Um no.  Ella's trophy went to the girl who is the social butterfly, holding the team together and keeping up morale. 


You know what?  That description was more than alright with me.  Ella had emerged a leader and she did it in style.




P.S.  When I asked Ella if she wanted to play soccer again in the spring she said no.  When I ask her why she said that it makes her hot and sweaty and all the running makes her tired.  I signed her up anyway. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason that brought tears to my eyes! xoxo G.

A-Nik said...

Leaders aren't made...they are born. Keep encouraging her to do what she does...it is a gift!!

Donna said...

She sounds perfect just as she is! I have a niece that is also a girly girl...she has the whole "pink" outfit right down to her cleats and the pink ball. She is just finishing her second season!

Donna said...

She sounds perfect just as she is! I have a niece that is also a girly girl...she has the whole "pink" outfit right down to her cleats and the pink ball. She is just finishing her second season!

Anonymous said...

For some reason that brought tears to my eyes! xoxo G.

Post a Comment