Saturday, November 20, 2010

Kids' Fun Run

Nicholas' elementary school, along with 3 other elementary schools that feed into our middle school, hosted a 5K and family fun run today.  Normally I would have done the 5K but I decided to just go and have fun with the kids instead.  I'm glad I did. 



I'll be honest though, I wasn't too happy when my alarm went off just before 6:30 this morning.  I thought to myself and actually said a few times, "Whose idea was it to sign the kids up for the fun run?"  Wouldn't it be nice if these sort of things could start at noon instead of 8 am?

When we got to the track Nicholas quickly found his BFF.  They were both pretty excited to be doing a race.




Jack and Ella were pretty excited too.  


In fact, Jack was chanting "We wanna run, we wanna run" over and over again for about 10 minutes.  That wasn't annoying to anyone I'm sure.



Soon it was time to line up.  Nicholas had to get his stretch on. 



Everyone was pumped and ready to go.


At the "gun" Nicholas made your typical rookie mistake.  He started off in a sprint.  George reminded him to pace himself but I think his adrenaline just got the best of him.  The same thing happened to Jack.  He spent the whole time trying to keep up with Ella and tuckered out half way through his first lap.  George went and gathered him and he finished his first lap but didn't want to do any more.


As Nicholas rounded the last corner I yelled to him to run as fast as he could but could tell he was spent.  He went into an all out sprint but so did the kid next to him.  He wound up coming in fourth place (I think there were about 40 in his age group).  He was pretty proud of his performance (as was I) but more importantly he had a really good time. 


His BFF, Owen, came in second.  It was so cute to listen to him tell the story of how he was neck and neck with another runner but kicked it in and passed him.  Way to go Owen.


This is his start not his finish

Ella and Jack were some of the littlest participants and Ella was all heart out there.  She gave it her all and finished her two laps.  She was definitely tuckered in the end and you could read it all over her face.  Nicholas ran up to her right at the end to hug and encourage her.  It was the sweetest thing.


She told me that the run made her throat hurt and it was really hard.  I'm happy that she didn't quit.  After it was all said and done they all went out and ran more laps.  Nicholas wound up running 2 miles today, Jack completed a total of 3 laps.  When he wasn't sprinting he was actually a good consistent little runner. 

The kids really had a fun time at the run.  I can't believe it has taken us this long to do a fun run with the kids.  It was fun for them.  They even said that basically they have always been the spectators for races and it was fun now for them to run and mommy and daddy to cheer them on.  I can't wait to do it again. 

PaPa Dan comes tomorrow!!!  Yeah, our first visitor and the kids are VERY excited!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww this is so nice and good lord Jack is SMILING the entire time. Glad your Dad is coming to visit for the holidays. Hopefully he is taking a plane!! xoxo G.

Tracey said...

Too cute! I need to get my kids to do one of those too. I am sure Megan would do the same as Nicholas- sprint all of her energy out. nIce job everyone!

Anonymous said...

Could you please find one of these runs in my area? Thanks.
Give your dad a hug and have a wonderful visit..<3

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Could you please find one of these runs in my area? Thanks.
Give your dad a hug and have a wonderful visit..<3

xoxo

Post a Comment