Thursday, November 11, 2010

Out Past My Bedtime

I went out this evening.  I was afraid at 8:00 pm I would turn into a pumpkin.  I mean I was out, I was carrying my real purse and not my mom purse, and I didn't have any kids. 


Voted worst picture ever.... by me.  I'm chalking it up to a bad angle and you should do the same

I've met a handful of moms since I've moved to Texas but only one person, so far, that I'd consider a friend.  She's the mother of Nicholas' new BFF.  Her name is Joelle and she invited me to a "party" tonight.  Have you ever heard of Scentsy?  Well, they're wickless candles and it's sold by the Tupperware premise.  You know the whole home show/party thing.  There were 4 different independent consultants there selling other things too.  I wound up buying a bunch of candle stuff and a really cute skirt for Ella.




It was good to get out amongst the "non short" people and have a glass of wine and some conversation.  Ironically most of the conversation was about said "short people".  Funny how that always happens.  I actually thought about declining her offer to go only because I was sooooooooooooo tired after my run this afternoon.  In the end, food and girl talk won out.

As far as the run goes, I'm not going to lie it was hard.  The temperature was about 73 degrees and even though there were a few clouds in the sky none of them seemed to protect me today.  At one point I had so much sweat pouring into my eyes they were burning and I couldn't see. 

I know I talk about being so slow all the time.   I hate when people that run way faster than I say they are slow.  So I apologize to the two people out there that I am faster than.  No seriously, I know pace varies widely and one man's slow is another man's fast.  I'm only really just comparing myself now to my former (pre-wrecked) self.  I only want to return to my sub 10:00 glory days.  *wink wink* 

With each run, I am getting faster and I can at least see the good in that.  Today my training plan called for 4 miles and I promised myself to push myself as hard as I could.  I found myself thinking of Shalane Flanagan the whole time. 



Shalane placed second in the ING New York City Marathon this past weekend, finishing in under 2 hours and 30 minutes.  (It was her DEBUT marathon.)  You can do the math but we are talking  under 6 minute miles.  The marathoners truly amaze me.  She was my inspiration for this afternoon's run. If she could sustain 5 something minute miles for 26.2 I could push myself for 4. 



Run
Mile 1:  10:48
Mile 2:  10:44
Mile 3:  10:49
Mile 4:  11:02
Total:  43:26
Average:  10:51

I was thinking the other day that running is really a survival instinct.  It should come to all of us really easily.  Whether you have run a marathon or chased after your kid on the playground, you know running isn't easy.  Gosh darn it, running is hard!  I may not ever run "fast" but I'm really hoping someone is out there thinking of Susan Tirch being inspired to put one foot in front of the other. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspired? I'm in awe! You go girl! xoxo G.

Lisa said...

I'm glad that you decided to go out. I found once you find one friend and if you meet their friends that you'll most likely find a whole other group of people that you can hang out with. Girlfriends are the best and hardest to come by sometimes.

A-Nik said...

Good to hear that you are out with the girls. You are so social....can't spend all of your time with the munchkins!
PS - Yeah...I'll take your slow time, send it on over! Hahahahaha

Tracey said...

So happy to see you went out and enjoyed some adult time. As for the running, you are doing great! I always said it doesn't matter how fast you run- you are out there doing it! How many people can go out and run for 43 minutes without stoppin?. If I asked 5 random people, I bet maybe 1 would be able to. Be proud of what you can do, not upset at what you can't. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for.

PS Shalane Flanagan is my new favorite runner too- AMAZING!

Lisa said...

I'm glad that you decided to go out. I found once you find one friend and if you meet their friends that you'll most likely find a whole other group of people that you can hang out with. Girlfriends are the best and hardest to come by sometimes.

Post a Comment