Sunday, November 7, 2010

Stories I Make Up in My Head

I spend a lot of time driving up and down Lakeline Boulevard.  On average I drive the 5.3 mile trek  6 to 8 times per day.  Luckily it is a straight shot but it can take 10 to 15 minutes depending on time of day and traffic.  I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of "my girl".


I know every nook and cranny of the road by now.  As a matter of a fact, I'm pretty sure I could take my hands of the steering wheel and the car would drive up and down the road itself.  Have I mentioned how excited I am about our house?  Our house is about 300 yards from the school and about 1.2 miles from Ella and Jack's school.  That will be so nice.

Model of "our" house.  Ours will be reversed and different brick
My point is, why, if I know every nook and cranny of this road already, do I choose to select this as my running route as well?  I guess the reason is because it's nice and flat and there is a sidewalk the whole way. 


I really appreciate the sidewalks.  Although I usually ran early enough in the morning in Pittsburgh to avoid traffic, there were days I dove in the weeds at the last minute to avoid an oncoming car.  True story!

I guess the Lakeline route is also perfect because just about the time I run out of water I run by the middle school and stop by the track at the water fountain to refill my bottles.


I don't know what it is about Texas but George and I both agree that we consume 2 times the amount of water we did when we lived in Pittsburgh.  It's not the temperature either (well not NOW anyway).  Today was 58 degrees when I was running and I was out of water by mile 4.5.  I've run 12 miles before and not used all the water in two bottles.  I don't get it.  Do you?

I saw so many people out on the same path.  As a matter of a fact I decided I would count.  I saw 7 walkers, 5 runners and 5 cyclists.  For me it's encouraging to exercise while other people are out suffering around me.  That's why I like to workout at the gym.  I guess some people don't need that but it helps me. I wanted to take pictures of the people as they passed by but thought that might get me killed.


Pretend you see a super fast girl in a pair of purple running shorts and long sleeve technical tee.  I saw her for about oh 15 seconds before she pulled away and I lost sight of her anyway.  Since I couldn't see her face I pretended she was 19 and has run track since middle school.  It was a little harder to do pretending when a 40 something came running toward me and I felt her breeze as she ran by muscles bulging in her quads.  *Sigh*

I pretend when people run by me they make up a story too.  What would be your story if you saw this "running" by at a blistering 11:30 pace?



I don't know why but I always seem to daydream what each runner's story is.  It's people watching while exercising and it distracts me momentarily.  Like the other day I saw a really young couple and she was faster than he although it didn't look like she SHOULD be.  I decided later that week he broke up with her because he couldn't stand the humiliation. 

Try it sometime.  Your seven miles will feel like 7 minutes.

7 Mile Lakeline Boulevard Run
Mile 1: 10:41
Mile 2: 11:40
Mile 3: 11:36
Mile 4:  11:29
Mile 5:  11:57
Mile 6:  12:01
Mile 7: 11:34
Total: 1:21:04
Average:   11:34

By the way my average heart rate during this run was 178 bpm.  No that's not a typo.  I am working and working hard it's just REALLY hard to get back into running shape.  I advise never breaking your shoulder if you can at all avoid it because you'll really be slowed down.  That and because there will wind up being pictures of you like this:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the dryness/lack of humidity.
Please don't make up stories about me. K? Thanks.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

My 7 miles will feel like 7 minutes? - noooooooo backwards - my 7 minutes will feel like 7 miles! You are an inspiring person! xoxo G.

chris malcom said...

Susan...seriously..u have entire conversations w urself don't u? lol Do you have a name for her? Love your Blog! keep em coming!

A-Nik said...

I'm getting a little worried about you down there!! Apparently the weather is sucking your brain cells out too. Hahahahahaha!

chris malcom said...

Susan...seriously..u have entire conversations w urself don't u? lol Do you have a name for her? Love your Blog! keep em coming!

Post a Comment