Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen

I've been happily preparing for my first ever Thanksgiving feast cooked by me (on Thanksgiving).  I've done a turkey before but never ENTIRELY on my own.  I guess you can say I still didn't do it ENTIRELY on my own because there were a few other cooks in the kitchen.


George is the official chopper, chopping everything I needed from apples to onions.  Dad was the official can opener.  I still have a hand crank opener.  You know the type that cost $2 at Walmart.  Don't worry I asked for one for Christmas because let's face it Dad's not sticking around forever.


Nicholas held the all important position of standing around and looking pretty.  It was nice that someone else could do it for a change.  *wink wink*

The only one that REALLY helped with the actual making of the food was the beautiful/talented Ella Bella. 


We made 2 pies today and if they taste anywhere near as good as they look, we're in business.

Mom's Pumpkin Pie



Ingredients
1.5 cups Sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
4 eggs
1 can (29 oz) Libby's 100% pure pumpkin
2 cans (12 oz) evaporated milk

Directions
Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl
Beat eggs in large bowl
Stir in pumpkin and sugar spice mixture
Gradually stir in evaporated milk
Pour into pie shells
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes
Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean



Obviously I stuck my knife in the center a few too many times.  It just didn't seem to EVER be done.  I hope it tastes good.  It smells and looks delicious. 

I wanted to try something new as well as the old standard so I decided to make another pie too. 

Apple Cherry Lattice Pie



Ingredients
2.5 pounds Granny Smith Apples (peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices)
3/4 cup dried tart cherries
2/3 plus 1 T sugar
1/3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
3 T cornstarch
2 T lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg beaten with 1 T water

Directions

In large bowl combine apples, cherries, 2/3 cup sugar, apple juice concentrate, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
Pour apple filling into crust in pie plate
Cut pie crust into 1 inch wide strips
Weave a lattice pattern over top of pie.  Crimp ends of strips under edge of crust
Brush on egg mixture over lattice
Sprinkle with remaining T sugar
Bake at 400 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes until apples are tender



This pie looks so pretty (even though I forgot to sprinkle the top with sugar).  I hope it tastes as good as Nicholas it looks. 

2 comments:

A-Nik said...

The pies both look great! You won't be sorry that you ditched the pumpkin pie spice and used the "real" ingredients!! LOL. Nicholas looks less than thrilled! Where is JEB? Did you sell him to the gypsies? Why wasn't he allowed to "help"? Hahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Yeah, where was JEB? We all know he would have been a really big help! Pies look great - apple and pumpkin - they could "look" terrible and still taste great! Have a great Thanksgiving! xoxo G.

Post a Comment