Tuesday, November 9, 2010

You're Not Doing it Right or Fast Enough

I'll admit I'm not cut out to be a single mom.  Every week is rush, rush, rush from one thing to another but I feel like I can keep going because I know come 5:30ish I have some reprieve when George gets home.  When he's out of town it just makes the days drag and makes the chore of daily life a little bit harder.  Kudos to every single mom out there because I don't know how you do it. 

My Sister and I (she's a single mom of 2)

I suppose if you HAVE to you just prioritize and you just do it.  So that's what I did the past two days.  Guess what? Religious education and dance were skipped for Nicholas and Ella, respectively this week and I do feel a tad guilty.  I just feel like if I run myself ragged then I wind up being really cranky with the kids so it's not a good situation for anyone.

Tuesday nights are hard nights even when George is around.  Ella has dance from 4:00 to 4:45 and Nicholas has to be at hockey at 5:15.  I had planned to skip hockey this evening but it was picture night.  Remember I'm not cut out for single motherhood.  Well, I'm not cut out for being a hockey mom either.  Holy Sh*t there is a lot of equipment. 


I've done the "hockey suit up" a couple of times before.  Ok maybe it was once.  I believe Nicholas' circulation was cut off because his elbow pads were on too tight and upside down.  I've learned a thing or two since then.  Ok I'm gonna give this thing a go.



How to Turn a Typical Kid into a Hockey Player

First start with one of these:



Add your base layer


Have your kid mock you because you're not going as fast as dad does then realize he, the self proclaimed expert, is putting his socks on upside down (they're big at the top and skinny at the bottom).



Tape socks and be sure to tape exactly where daddy does or you'll be reprimanded and have to do it again.  Seriously!  He insisted I move the tape one inch up or he wasn't going to be able to play right.


Add elbow pads perfectly tightened and right side up (I think)



Shut up! Mom is not so dumb after all.  It may have taken 20 minutes and I may have exposed my butt crack a time or two but I did it!



Yeah I know what you're thinking.  Big deal right?  Well what would you say if I left George all alone and made him do this.


Now that's one step by step recipe I'd love to see! Honey, dance recital is in May!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahah Can he really skate with all that stuff on - looks live EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas! xoxo G.

A-Nik said...

LOL - I've seen Ella's hair first hand when George is in charge!!! Too damn funny. Where is Jack when all of this is going on? Is he "helping you"?

beachgooloo said...

LOL!!!!!! WHat doll babies!!! I am part time single mom LOL. It's harder some days than others. <3 u!! You are great... part of being great is knowing your limits & what sets u off.. It's great you can forsee an issue & resolve it before it happens.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine where Nicholas gets his particularness! Haha. Good for you getting him all set. It is a process but you're up for the challenge! And just think of the shoulder mobility involved in all of this!
Yeah!
xoxo

Sarah said...

I've only been "permitted" to get Carter dressed once....and yes, he too was saying "Mom, you're doing it wrong". He wouldn't even allow me to put his helmet or his skates on for fear of them being too loose or too tight! Boys, hockey and their dads. We're in trouble!!

K cubed said...

You were right that is a lot of equipment. Good stuff

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahah Can he really skate with all that stuff on - looks live EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas! xoxo G.

Post a Comment