Wednesday, December 8, 2010

17 Sleeps Until Christmas

December 8th.  4 more sleeps until my 1/2 marathon.  6 more sleeps until my arthroscopic shoulder surgery.  17 more sleeps until Christmas.  73 more sleeps until the marathon.  Tick Tock Tick Tock.  I don't know about you but I'm afraid to close my eyes.  There are far too many things to do in, what seems like, too little time. 



In order to stay stress free (yeah right) I will just keep my nose to the grindstone and take one day at a time.  The only certainty in life right now is that the sun will rise and set with each new day and it won't stop even if I wish it were so.  Tick Tock Tick Tock.

I have given up on trying to manage things that are out of my control.  I am the only one that can train for the marathon.  I'm the only one that can decide if the pain is too much or the distance is too long (after my surgery).  I can NOT control the amount of time that it will take me to recover from surgery or how much pain I will be in.  So for now, I'm just pretending that I will be able to do the marathon and have been following my training plan as per usual. 

Treadmill Run: 
Total:  3 Miles 32:04 

I started off at my usual slow pace with every intention of keeping it there.  5.5 mph.  I somehow got distracted by the girl next to me who hopped on about 5 minutes after I.  She too was running at 5.5 mph.  I used to think I wasn't competitive, but I will tell you I could not allow myself to run at 5.5 mph right beside her when I knew I had it in me to do more.  I increased to 5.7 mph and it started to feel easy.  All cylinders were firing just right today and I continued to increase my pace and completed the last .3 miles of my run at 7.0 mph.  As you can see, I did the majority at a slower pace but it felt nice when 6.2 mph felt easy.  I even once thought to myself that the treadmill was broken because 6.2 mph hasn't felt this easy in forever.  I guess I find it hard to give myself credit for putting in the work and regaining what I have lost since the accident.  I did get a little sad when I realized that just when I am FINALLY getting back to normal I have to face surgery again in 6 days.  Maybe I won't miss a beat.  One thing is for sure, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it!  It is what it is.  Tick Tock Tick Tock. 

Next stop on this stress-free train; the annual making of the Gingerbread House.  I usually buy a kit because... well hmmmm.... well because it's just so much darn easier.  So I unloaded the kit and what to my wondering eyes should appear... A PREASSEMBLED house.  I had no idea!  Score!!!  All the hard work was done for us and all we had to do is decorate.  I might get an extra hour sleep tonight! Tick Tock Tick Tock.







Isn't she a beaut?  We won't be winning any contests but the kids had a blast eating their weight in the candy decorating and coming up with creative ideas.  This is their own little masterpiece (aside from the icing which is Daddy's) and they were beaming over it. 



I also tackled cookies this evening in my effort to make six different treats this holiday season.  I made the EASIEST one on my list.  Seriously, cookies do NOT get any easier than this!  Four ingredients.  Yes FOUR!  You've all had them before, but did you know they were this easy?  Did I say easy yet?

Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies

Ingredients


  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 egg
  • 18 milk chocolate candy kisses, unwrapped (even easier when done by a 7 year old helper)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine sugar, peanut butter, and egg.
  3. Shape into 1 inch balls, roll in sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet. NOTE: If dough is too sticky, refrigerate 1/2 hour or until easy to handle.
  4. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove cookies from oven. Press a chocolate kiss into the center of each warm cookie.


This post is making me sleepy.  Tick Tock Tick Tock someone make the clock stop!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time marches on! Love the gingerbread house. Awesome that you keep on the traditions! xoxo G.

Andrew said...

I love how you guys always counted days in "sleeps". I miss my babies.

Shannon said...

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one out "here" who feels like their nose is down to the grindstone and that you can't stop anything from happening - time goes on and you just gotta press forward! Seriously, your post made me feel better and I'm going to try those pb cookies!

Tracey said...

Making these cookies now. So easy! Thanks for the recipe. We count sleeps too- something my mother-in-law passed down.

Tracey said...

Making these cookies now. So easy! Thanks for the recipe. We count sleeps too- something my mother-in-law passed down.

Andrew said...

I love how you guys always counted days in "sleeps". I miss my babies.

Post a Comment