Sunday, December 26, 2010

Back Home Again

Oh holiday traveling how I love thee.  My day started waaaaaay too early, at 5:30 am, after being up well past midnight.  I just can't get comfortable sleeping since my surgery.  Anyway, for those of you that don't know we headed out to Pittsburgh today (my home town) to visit family for the holiday.

Austin was a balmy 26 degrees this morning, the coldest it has been since we moved four months ago.  Seeing as it was cold in Texas, the transition to the 20 degree weather in Pittsburgh was not quite as bad. 

When we arrived at the Austin airport the lines were ridiculous.  I decided I would park the car and leave George with 3 kids and 8 bags to check (including car seats).  I think I got the better end of the bargain. 

There is way too much information rattling around in my head these days to remember minute details.  Even though I thought I would remember where I parked in the long-term lot, I figured I should take a picture to remind myself.  After all, if the car couldn't be found I'd be the only one to blame.

After waiting in the long lines in Austin we made it to the gate around 8:10 for our 8:25 flight.  We pushed backed pretty much right on schedule.  There are NO direct flights to anywhere (it seems) from Austin.  We were flying the 39 minutes to Houston where we would make our connection to Pittsburgh.  It seemed liked we reached cruising altitude just to begin our descent.  At least we arrived at IAH (Houston) unscathed.


As easy as the first flight was, it was the rest of the day that scared me.  We had a three hour layover in Houston and then a three hour flight to Pittsburgh. Think how cranky you get when you're traveling, hungry and tired.  Now imagine being three, five and seven.  I didn't have high hopes. 

We took our time in Houston having breakfast and stood to the side on the moving walkway.  Even though the layover was a little long, the leisurely pace was welcomed.

We hung out in the terminal waving to the captain in the airplane.  He wrote a note and held it up to windshield saying hello.  Nicholas thought that was so cool.  Do all kids just think pilots are the coolest?  Mine do.   We played, goofed around and took many potty breaks.  After three hours, we were all ready to board the plane to our final destination. 

The plane ride was smooth sailing.  Jack fell asleep resting his head on George's lap.  Ella got cozy with her neck pillow and $6 satellite TV watching the Titanic and Nicholas was an angel. 

We arrived safely in Pittsburgh shortly after 5:00 pm only to find out my bag decided to stay back in Houston.  So much has gone wrong lately I've come to just accept it.   I don't even care that I have nothing to wear.  I might run to Target in my borrowed pajamas tomorrow for some new apparel.  Apparently pajamas are acceptable as I saw many people flying in them today.  In fact, maybe I don't need to buy anything at all. 

It's now 1:00 am and I've been up for almost 20 hours but I'm about to snuggle safely in my bed at my sister's house.  All the traveling was worth it to see my mom and my sister and other family members.  It's so nice to come home and know that someone left the light on for ya. 


Post a Comment