Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Spectacular

Today was a day Ella and I have been looking forward to for quite awhile now.  Today we went to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular starring none other than the Rockettes.  The boys are going to the NHL Winter Classic in January so we thought it only fair that we get to do something equally as fun and oppositely girly.  Any reason to dress up is an ok occasion in Ella's book.  We both got new dresses and she couldn't wait for us to wear them.





George was kind enough to drive us to the event; dropping us at the door.  I really do feel lucky to have such a wonderful husband.  He does so much more than most men would just to keep me quiet make me happy.  It's the little things, like not having to worry about where I'm going or not having to park and walk with a five year old, that mean the most to me.   For some reason I feel good when he's "taking care" of me.  So yeah, I love him!  I mean who else would offer to take picture of one's backside since we have no full length mirror?  That's my George!



When we got to Bass Concert Hall we walked in to, what other than, the souvenir stand right in front of us.  I don't mind buying Ella something but the prices are outrageous for what you are getting.  She asked for the $25 stuffed animal and I had to refuse.  I'm boycotting all stuffed animals from here on out.  Anyway, I told her I'd like to buy her the Christmas ornament so she could always remember that she and Mommy saw the Rockettes together. 




Ella looked at me with the most serious face and pointed with her index finger to her head and said, "Mom, I just want to remember right up here."  No she didn't want the ornament (I still bought it for myself) she wanted the toy.  I refused the stuffed bear but allowed the "Rockette Doll", you know since we need more of those.  By the time I went to get a picture of said doll she'd been violated (she, nor I, want to tak about it).  So glad I wasted spent that money!



The show was fabulous.  Our seats were just 8 rows from the stage which made it very nice for keeping Ella's attention.  She smiled ear to ear the whole time.  Her favorite part was most definitely when the Rockettes did their famous kicks.  She would giggle with delight and then clap accordingly. 





During the first intermission a "grandmotherly type" came up to us and told Ella how pretty she looked.  She then proceeded to tell me that she had attended this same show 30 years ago with her then 5 year old granddaughter.  Today she was attending with that same granddaughter and her 5 year old daughter.  I couldn't help but wonder if someday I would get the chance to come back with Ella and my granddaughter.  I hope so, and I'll be sure to reminisce about it with my neighbor.  Being reminded of such fond family traditions at this time of year warms my heart. 

When everyone is running around from place to place trying to accomplish this thing and that thing it is nice to know there is still time for traditions; old and new.  For some reason, this year more than ever, I have really been able to LIVE in each moment.  I haven't worried about making perfectly decorated cookies, or capturing each moment for the camera (even though I was snapping shots).  I worried instead about capturing those moments in my heart and in my mind.   

This is the season for giving and I hope my kids appreciate, as much as I, the giving of time; our time together is my biggest gift.  The presents under the tree are just a bonus.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your life is like a story book and you two girly girls are beautiful. So glad to see you out together. The stuffed animal wouldn't have killed you! LOL xoxo G.

Veggie Angie said...

This post made me insanely happy. I am so glad to hear you are living in the moment and trying to give up the perfectionism..it will kill you!

XOXOXOXO
Ang

Ronald said...

Nice! But i am going to have to be more jealous about the Winter Classic...now if only George could blog about that!

Veggie Angie said...

This post made me insanely happy. I am so glad to hear you are living in the moment and trying to give up the perfectionism..it will kill you!

XOXOXOXO
Ang

Anonymous said...

Your life is like a story book and you two girly girls are beautiful. So glad to see you out together. The stuffed animal wouldn't have killed you! LOL xoxo G.

Ronald said...

Nice! But i am going to have to be more jealous about the Winter Classic...now if only George could blog about that!

Post a Comment