Thursday, December 23, 2010

Oh, I See it's the Regulars

I was just ten years old when my grandmother passed away. She was just barely in her sixties and I thought she died because she was old. I mean, I new she had cancer but I thought old people got cancer and died.  I had no idea, in the grand scheme of things, she had a lot of living left to do.  


Granny and PaPa
 Looking back now, I feel so sorry for my mom having lost her mother at such a young age. Nevertheless, my grandmother, Mary Frances, had a huge impact on our family. So many of the women in our family come by their "habits" honestly. My Granny was a shopper, she appreciated nice things and had a lot of class. Every day she would get off the bus and walk home carrying a Horns (think Macy's) bag.  All the ladies on the street knew her and knew that Horns' bag was her signature.  I dreamed one day that I would grow up to be that classy lady on the block that everyone admired. 


Even though I never got to know her very well, I do have fond memories, even if they are few. She loved to spoil her grandchildren. She cooked such fantastic food. When she was serving up a meal to us kids she played waitress. She used a "tacky" Pittsburgh accent and called us the regulars. She would say, "Oh I see it's the regulars.  I guess yinz will be havin' the usual."  She mad us laugh so hard with her impression of this, over-the-top Pittsburgh waitress.  It was so NOT her and that's what made it funny. 


The Regulars
 Whenever she would cook, my mom tells me, Granny always chose the most difficult of recipes with a million steps and there are many funny stories of her mishaps. For all her mishaps, there were plenty of good recipes that have been handed down.  If you get one of Granny's recipes, you know it's going to be a good one.  Her strawberry jello salad is one of my favorites and it is something I make every time I make Christmas dinner.  This year was no exception and I had a couple of elves to help me do it.

Granny's Strawberry Jello Salad

Ingredients:



6oz pkg Strawberry Jello
1 envelope unflavored gelatin (like Knox)
2 c boiling water
8oz soften cream cheese
10oz thawed frozen strawberries
8oz Cool Whip 


Directions:
Stir Jello and gelatin together.
Add boiling water and stir extra well to thoroughly dissolve. 
Place cream cheese and strawberries with juice in blender and blend well (I used a hand mixer) 
Pour into Jello.
 Fold in Cool Whip.
Pour into 9x13 pan or jello mold. 
Chill until set. 





This looks really pretty if you use a jello mold.  Guess where mine is? IN STORAGE.  So I used a disposable tin casserole dish.  Pretty classy huh?  I bet Granny is so proud!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes! xoxo G.

Anonymous said...

Thank you- you have a definate journalistic flair! Julie

Ronald said...

great blog susan. nice story.

Anonymous said...

Thank you- you have a definate journalistic flair! Julie

Ronald said...

great blog susan. nice story.

Post a Comment