Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Recovery Day

When I first broke my shoulder my original doctor told me I'd look back at Christmas and not even remember that it happened.  Well here I am 10 days away from Christmas and from the looks of things I'm pretty aware that I broke my shoulder 6 months ago.


This is great for a mom-on-the-go no?  Actually, I haven't been much of a mom today at all.  I am in a lot more pain than I thought I would be.  George took the kids to and from school and even made (ok heated up) dinner.  I've only been in Texas about 14 weeks but I got two homemade dinners at my door because of my surgery.  Aren't Texas people nice?  Or maybe I just look under nourished.  No, you're right, people here are nice!!!

Having surgery yesterday I missed Ella's Christmas program.  I told her teachers that she wasn't going to be able to attend due to my surgery and they insisted I ask another mother take her home after school.  I explained that I didn't want to burden anyone.  They let me know, in no uncertain terms, that if I didn't ask someone THEY would.  So Ella did attend school and participate in her program but I didn't get to be there.  Ella was completely unaffected by George and I not being there but it broke my heart.  Here she is in her little homemade reindeer shirt that the whole class made and wore.






I don't know how she did, I don't know if she had sang, danced or smiled, but I do know she looked awfully damn cute doing whatever she did.  That's my girl! 

Ella is really coming into her own.  She loves everything girly.  She loves makeup, clothes, shoes and cooking.  She can't get enough of the baking.  She mentioned just yesterday how much she'd like a KitchenAid mixer.  Odd no? 


Well George if that's what she wants, who are you to ask questions!  This last set of cookies just about sent her over the edge.

THUMBPRINT COOKIES

Ingredients



2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts of choice

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F.
 Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in egg yolks, vanilla extract and salt.
Gradually stir in flour.
Form dough into 1-inch diameter balls.
Dip in lightly beaten egg whites, then roll in nuts.
Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.
Press down center of each with thumb.
Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Fill centers of cookies with icing or jam (we used a simple buttercream icing)

See the look of detest for this mixer!  LOL!


I swear these are not neon green in real life

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the heck is that apparatus you are using? Hope you recover quickly! xoxo G.

Post a Comment