Friday, December 10, 2010

Turnabout is Fair Play

One thing I'll never get sick of hearing,  "Those jeans make your butt look skinny."  Not that I hear that often, okay I heard it once, but I'd never get sick of it if it happened more often.  One thing I could go without ever hearing again, "It's good but it's not as good as my mom's."  Seriously?  Men of the world don't ever say that to your wife. 

What does any of this have to do with anything?  First let me give you some back story.  Once there was a boy; he came from a small town in Central Pennsylvania. 



He loves all things Penn State, hunting, guns, Steelers, big loud trucks and his mother's home cooking.  I have no hope of ever making the right Beef Stroganoff (not that I'd make that anyway), halupki, twistie noodles (where do they come up with this stuff), or blueberry pie.  Normally, I don't even try to make the things she makes because I know I can't compete. 

That changed today!  George's favorite Christmas cookie is his mom's Apricot "pinch cookies".  The are basically apricot filled shortbread cookies "pinched" in the middle.  I could have called and asked his mom for the recipe but that would have simply put me in direct competition with her.  If I went with my own, then I could always fall back on, "mine are different". 

Apricot Pinch Cookies

Ingredients


  • 1 cup margarine

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

  • 1/2 cup apricot preserves


  • Directions
    1. In a medium bowl, mix together the margarine, flour, and cream cheese until well blended. Cover and chill for about 30 minutes.
    2. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Roll the dough into walnut sized balls. Flatten each ball in the palms of your hands to 1/4 inch thickness. Place a small amount of apricot preserves into the center, fold the middle of each side of the circle over on top of one another until the edges seal. Place filled cookies onto a greased baking sheet.
    3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Remove from oven. While cookies are still warm, toss them with confectioners' sugar to coat. Toss them with sugar again when cool, just before serving.

      These cookies aren't really sweet, as you can see, they don't even have sugar.  They're not fancy or even my cup of tea.  (What can I say; I'm more of a chocolate peanut butter kind of gal.)  However, these cookies are my husband's favorite and every once in awhile I try to make him happy!  Today it was a success. 


      Now George.. Once there was a girl from Pittsburgh she liked all things Tiffany, Lululemon, Under Armour and KitchenAid... Just sayin'.  Now come on, don't you want to make your wife happy? 

    6 comments:

    Tracey said...

    I love your blog. You always make me laugh.

    Anonymous said...

    "Pinch" me..........you win!!! xoxo G.

    Anonymous said...

    At least he doesn't tell you to call his mom and get her recipe next time. haha. Matt needs to read this blog.

    ---Jessa

    Ronald said...

    I think i like the picture of george best eating the cookie.

    Ronald said...

    I think i like the picture of george best eating the cookie.

    Tracey said...

    I love your blog. You always make me laugh.

    Post a Comment