Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bridge Ahead

Today was a super exciting day for me.  I ran a PDR (Personal Distance Record) conquering 14 miles.  I feel like I crossed the bridge and am now officially in MARATHON training. 



Once I passed 13.1 miles I just couldn't get the stupid grin off of my face.  This was despite the fact that it was monsooning raining the WHOLE time. 

I met my new friend Julie this morning even though I attempted to put the run off until this afternoon due to rain.  Julie couldn't run this afternoon so it was brave the weather or go it alone.  We braved the weather and I'm glad we did.  Julie had 7 miles on her training plan for this morning and it was so fun to chat again while tackling long runs.




I don't know what it is but you put me with another woman on a run and we just can't shut up.  Thanks Julie for running the first seven miles with me.  I never once worried about how far we'd gone, the time just flew by.




Run
Mile1: 12:02
Mile 2: 12:17
Mile 3: 12:08
Mile 4: 12:03
Mile 5: 11:55
Mile 6: 11:55
Mile 7:12:17 -----> Julie leaves me alone :(  Gu Chomps

Julie and I had done an out in back on the Brushy Creek Regional Trail.  I'll admit that passing my car and then headed back out alone wasn't very appealing, but I put my headphones on and started "rocking out" and suddenly it wasn't that bad.  I surprised myself how well I actually felt. 



Like I said, it had been raining during the entire run but it was mostly a drizzle or a "spit".  Around mile 10 the rain REALLY started to come down.  At one point I passed another runner and we both laughed and gave each other the thumbs up at the same time. 

Julie said running on days like today makes you hardcore.  I'm going to have to agree! 

Mile 8: 11:57
Mile 9: 11:43
Mile 10: 11:39 -----> rain becomes INSANE!
Mile 11: 11:35
Mile 12: 11:25
Mile 13: 11:35 -----> shoes officially weigh 1,000,000 pounds
Mile 14:  11:36
Total:  14.00
Average:  11:51



By about mile 13.5 the rain was dripping from the brim of my hat and my hands were turning into to prunes and I was ready to be finished.  I passed my car around mile 13.6 but I would NOT stop before I hit mile 14.  I started running back and forth on the last 0.1 miles of the trail until I hit 14.00. 


This could quite possibly be one of my most satisfying runs of the season.  I love accomplishing something new even if it was in the cold rain.  My shoes are now water logged but I ran 14 miles!!!!



 Next week's long run is 18 miles.  Yikes!!  Who am I?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is quite an accomplishment. Why do you have to jump to 18 in one week? Just askin'
xoxoxoxox G.

Tracey said...

Great job, Susan. I can't remember the last time I ran that far- probably almost 5 years ago. So happy you had a great run. You can do 18- after running 14, the next 4 are mostly mental. Get a good playlist going and you will be set!

Ronald said...

running in the rain is a special feeling...that only other runners understand...the people that drive by in the car and see runners go...are they nuts? its pouring outside...and the runner just smiles to themself.

Ronald said...

running in the rain is a special feeling...that only other runners understand...the people that drive by in the car and see runners go...are they nuts? its pouring outside...and the runner just smiles to themself.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is quite an accomplishment. Why do you have to jump to 18 in one week? Just askin'
xoxoxoxox G.

Post a Comment