Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fantastic Fourteen

Today for my long run I got to go somewhere NEW.  I just love when that happens.  Julie picked me up at 8:00 am sharp to make the 20 to 25 minute drive to Lady Bird Lake (formerly Town Lake, I don’t think any true Texan has converted to call it Lady Bird Lake). 

fountain

The hike and bike trail is a series of trails that make a complete circuit around Lady Bird Lake.  There are plenty of options depending on the distance you want to run.

town lake trail guide

Julie had 7 miles on her training plan and I had 14 on mine. Naturally we chose the 7 mile path.  Julie did the 7 mile loop once and I headed out twice. 

map

The first 7 miles with Julie, as always, we were uneventful.  Uneventful in the fact that I talked Julie’s ear off as she privately hopes that I shut the heck up.  She made the mistake of asking about my bike accident this summer and I swear it took me 3 miles to tell the whole story.  Hey, we had the time. 

city2

I Gu’d around 47 minutes into the run. Even though I didn’t feel like I NEEDED to Gu I have decided that for all long runs I will “fuel” every 45 minutes BEFORE I feel like I need it.  I think this approach has served me well.  I used all chocolate outrage Gu Gels and it worked out perfectly.  I really like this flavor. 

gu

After Julie “left” me I settled into a comfortable pace with my music.  Aside from a little rubbing from my new shoes I felt pretty good most of the time.  Around mile 11 I started feeling really hungry and decided to Gu a little early.   I’m glad I did because it gave me the extra energy I needed to finish strong. 

bridge

Town Lake Run:

  • Mile 1: 12:43
  • Mile 2:  12:16
  • Mile 3:  12:02
  • Mile 4:  12:11 ----> First Gu
  • Mile 5:  12:12
  • Mile 6:  12:05
  • Mile 7:  11:47 -----> Julie Leaves me
  • Mile 8:  11:43 -----> Gu #2
  • Mile 9:  11:08
  • Mile 10:  11:00
  • Mile 11:  11:24 -----> Final Gu taken early I NEEDED it
  • Mile 12:  11:03
  • Mile 13:  10:56
  • Mile 14:  10:57

Total:  2:43:34

Average:  11:40

finish

Is it a sad day or a good day when 14 miles starts to feel easy?  With each training run my confidence is growing.  Next week my long run is 20 miles.  This will be my longest run before the race.  Dare I say…I’m looking forward to it! 

6 comments:

beachgooloo said...

20 miles!!??? Great job today! SO glad to hear you had a positive run!!!! :) WTG!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go!!
Sorry, but chocolate Gu sounds positively disgusting. Glad it works for you though.

xoxo

Wanna Be a Skinnie Minnie! said...

Awesome job!!! I'm glad that you likenthe chocolate outrage Gu because I have been wanting to try it! Right now I'm hooked on Tri-Berry and Jet blackberry!!

A-Nik said...

I'd say it's a very very good day when 14 miles starts to feel easy. Geeze Louise!!

Ron said...

Way to go dudette! you rocked it!

the hoppe pad said...

Congrats on a great run! You are doing so amazing after just having surgery weeks ago too! I can't wait to hear about your 20 miler coming up!

Post a Comment