Monday, January 10, 2011

Getting Uncomfortable

When I first started working out I felt like such a tool.  I know that's a stupid word but that just further illustrates how I felt.  I didn't know how to use any of the machines, I felt like the free weights were in no man's land-- I was just plain intimidated. 

It wasn't until I let all most of that go that I was able to fully enjoy EVERYTHING my gym had to offer.   I decided I would make myself do things, even if they made me uncomfortable.  I tried spin the first time and was unable to stand up and pedal at the same time.  I just sat in the back row and did my own thing.  Eventually I got better and took my cycling outdoors.  (Never mind that I crashed on my bike this summer, that is not part of the story).



I tried Pilates and fell in love.  Pilates is like a massage for your body.  I tried yoga (it still intimidates me, I should try it again).  I tried Body Pump and fell in love again.  Body Pump changed my body like nothing else I have ever done.   I'm not going to lie, these guns came from Body Pump.  (I didn't even know I had them until I saw this picture).  Sadly they are now gone-- again not part of the story. 


Then there was swimming.  In January of 2009 I decided to finally learn how to swim.  I mean I knew how to swim but not how to REALLY swim.  I was apprehensive and felt stupid taking swimming lessons but I stepped out of my comfort zone and learned something new. 

Sexy one piece suit and swim cap
I think it's important to step outside of what feels comfortable.  No one is judging you.  Honestly most people are probably feeling the same way you are.  So get out there, try something new and you just might fall in love!

I used to hate running

Don't worry, getting out there will have it's rewards but when you do need a little comforting try this incredible comfort food.

Susan's Aunt Susan's Chicken and Noodles

Ingredients



2 lbs (approx) boneless skinless chicken breast
4 cups (32 ounces) chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup (family size pictured but I used less than half so 1 regular can should work)
1 bag (12 ounces) Reame's FROZEN egg noodles
Salt and Pepper

Directions

Add chicken to a crock pot along with chicken broth and cook on low for about 2 hours
Remove chicken and shred into pieces
Add both chicken and broth back into crock pot
Add Reame's noodles
Cook on high for 1 hour or until noodles are soft
Add cream of chicken soup and cook for additional 1/2 hour
Add salt and pepper to taste


I served this over mashed potatoes and it was AH-MAZ-ING.  I think if you put a biscuit on the bottom then layer it with mashed potatoes and the chicken and noodles you will be in HEAVEN. Now that's something I could get comfortable with .


7 comments:

Tyly said...

What a great post about stepping out of the comfort zone!!

I'm very interested in your recipe!! I don't have Reames egg noodles here, so I just wanted to be sure that they are just regular dry noodles. I think there are some noodles in the frozen section, so I just wanted to make sure it's the dry ones and not the frozen ones. I'd love to try the recipe out!

momswimbikerun said...

These are the FROZEN noodles. I think frozen is most definitely key to the recipe!

Lisa said...

I'm addicted to Body Pump now. Miss having you to talk to in class. You would love boot camp, too. Talk about stepping out of your comfort zone when everyone can see you on the track.

Anonymous said...

You are brave. I'm always in my comfort zone - old school. Yep that's the chicken and noodles - very comforting! xoxoxo G.

Anonymous said...

But I LIKE my comfort zone!!!! xoxoxo G.

momswimbikerun said...

These are the FROZEN noodles. I think frozen is most definitely key to the recipe!

Tyly said...

What a great post about stepping out of the comfort zone!!

I'm very interested in your recipe!! I don't have Reames egg noodles here, so I just wanted to be sure that they are just regular dry noodles. I think there are some noodles in the frozen section, so I just wanted to make sure it's the dry ones and not the frozen ones. I'd love to try the recipe out!

Post a Comment