Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hello World

I’m still having a hard time wrapping my head around double digit mid-week runs.  So, when I was faced with 10 miles today, I’ll admit I wasn’t overjoyed. 

The weather was totally gorgeous though-- almost 70 degrees and not a cloud to be seen.  The nice weather helped me to have a better attitude about things but my tight ankles and IT band were still nagging at me. 

 sky

All of the sudden (about 2 miles in) Hello World came on my iPod and I really started listening to the words.  It just kind of hit me.  I was taken back to this summer when I was lying in bed with 3 pins in my arm doing nothing but watching trashy TV and waiting for my arm to heal. 

I wanted nothing more than to be able to run or do anything active for that matter.  So here I was in the midst of a beautiful day focusing on the “suffering” of a 2 hour run.  Listening to these words--

I remember why I am here

to surrender and believe

I fall down on my knees 

oh hello world, hello world, hello world

I finally surrendered to “the run” and really started to enjoy THE DAY.  I swear as I crested the top of a hill I was soaking in the sun as it warmed my body and actually felt that comfortable feeling you get when the sun comes out from behind a cloud when you’re lying on a lounge chair.  All the sudden I wasn’t running, I was soaking in all the day-- this beautiful day-- had to offer. 

lake

  • Mile 1: 11:13
  • Mile 2:  11:00
  • Mile 3:  11:10
  • Mile 4:  11:07
  • Mile 5: 10:51
  • Mile 6:  11:08
  • Mile 7:  11:13
  • Mile 8:  11:22
  • Mile 9: 10:55
  • Mile 10:  10:39

Total:  1:50:46

Average:  11:04

Once I surrendered to the day and the run my attitude changed.  I actually enjoyed my run even if it was double digits on a Thursday.  I was running at a comfortable pace, a pace I felt like I could hold forever (or let’s hope for at least 26.2 miles).   

Hello world! 

shadow

 

If you like my blog and you’d like to do me a little favor please click on the Vote for Us/TopMommyBlogs.com icon on the sidebar of my page.  All you have to do is click, it’s that easy.  Nothing else to do but click, by accessing their site from my page your vote is complete.  Your vote would be MUCH appreciated!  You can vote once a day (that means you mom!)  Thanks in advance!

5 comments:

watchpot said...

I hope you can feel exactly that way during the marathon - it will then be much easier for you. Use your head - let's not have another McConnel's Mill incident while running. You are a real inspiration those aspiring to do just what you do! xoxoxoxo G.

george said...

If she falls in a hole on her bike during the marathon, there may be a problem.

Ron said...

zzzziiiiinnnnggggg from george! haha..

well said susan, sounds to me like you are really really becoming a runner now...pretty soon those midweek double digits runs will be a blip on your radar.

george said...

If she falls in a hole on her bike during the marathon, there may be a problem.

Ron said...

zzzziiiiinnnnggggg from george! haha..

well said susan, sounds to me like you are really really becoming a runner now...pretty soon those midweek double digits runs will be a blip on your radar.

Post a Comment