Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I Met a Man

On August 11, 1995 I was a young woman just about to turn 21 years old.  I felt washed up and like I would never find a man.  As fate would have it there was an intern filling in at the pharmacy I also interned for, his name was George. 


From the beginning I was smitten.  Immediately he made me laugh and smile so much my cheeks hurt.  It didn't take long to realize that he was the type of person I could be with for a long time-- forever. 



We grew up a lot, graduated college, moved away from home and we got married.  I thank God that we grew up and grew together rather than apart. 



Is hard to imagine life way back then; before kids.  It wasn't until we started our family that I think I really appreciated all of his wonderful qualities. 

George is the best father I know (no offense to all the fathers out there, I'm biased).  I think I'm a pretty good mom but as a parent, he blows me out of the water.  He is ALWAYS there for our children.  There is no "job" that is considered mine because I'm the mom.  He has always done everything from changing diapers to giving baths.  He is an all around ACTIVE participant in every aspect of their lives and it shows! 



These children love him more than anything.  There is nothing I love more than seeing him walk through the door and their faces light up as they run to him and give him a giant hug.  My "tuck ins" will never be good enough.   I don't let them eat sweets for breakfast, I don't play video games, and I can't play football or watch the same movie with them over and over and over again.  Only Daddy does it right!



When you're a busy couple balancing being parents, jobs, obligations, training for this event or that, it is VERY hard to find time for one another.  It's hard to take a moment and pause and remind each other how special you think they are.  As a matter of a fact, it's darn hard to just not take one another for granted. 



One thing I learned from my accident was not to take George for granted.  I really learned to appreciate how much he loves me AND how much I love him.  When you're down in the deepest of despair, not even able to wipe your own backside, you realize VERY quickly who you want by your side.  I was so helpless but I felt strong knowing I had George there with me.  He loved me, supported me, took care of me and encouraged me every step of the way.

George tells me almost every single day that I'm pretty.  He reminds me that I'm strong and that I can do anything.  He supports me and gives me confidence to do better in every aspect of my life.  I never worry about being myself around him or if he will judge me.  He not only lets me be me, but helps me to be a BETTER me. 



George, you make me proud to be your wife.  I know I'm not very good at showing you how much you mean to me.  I know I'll never be a good of a wife as you are a husband.  I know that I should just sit back and learn how to love from your example.  You, and our family, mean more to me than anything else in this world.  I love you with all my heart and wish you a very happy birthday. 



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't cry much anymore - I have toughened up, but this made me cry! You are both very lucky to have found eachother! xoxo G.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cry.
Happy Birthday George! You really are a wonderful father - and husband to my cousin.

xoxo

gretchen said...

Good grief George..I wish you wasnt so wonderful so I wouldn't have cried! Happy bday anyway. ~gretchen

Anonymous said...

washed up at almost 21...that is too much!! What a nice tribute!

Ronald said...

he's a good boss too...but much harder nosed! Happy belated birthday George!

Anonymous said...

Ok, that was a tear jerker!!!! I am a dad, and i thought that i was doing a pretty good job, Happy birthday old man, and enjoy your lovely family and beautiful wife!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, that was a tear jerker!!!! I am a dad, and i thought that i was doing a pretty good job, Happy birthday old man, and enjoy your lovely family and beautiful wife!!!

gretchen said...

Good grief George..I wish you wasnt so wonderful so I wouldn't have cried! Happy bday anyway. ~gretchen

Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't cry much anymore - I have toughened up, but this made me cry! You are both very lucky to have found eachother! xoxo G.

Post a Comment