Friday, January 14, 2011

Keepin’ it Real

Writing a blog and putting yourself out there for the "whole world" to see is sometimes a little bit overwhelming.  Of course I show you what I want you to see but I am very careful to "keep it real". 

I don't pretend that every day I look put together wearing pearls. 

susan dinner dance2

 

I admit there are days when I barely get a shower, that I have wrinkles and I suck in my gut.

007

Part of keeping it real is admitting that I’m not as good as I once was and that is hard for ME to accept.  If I’m not running a sub 10:00 minute mile am I good enough?  Are people judging me, snickering behind my back, for being so slow?  It creeps into my mind. 

I’ll ask myself why am I putting myself out there to be “judged” showing everyone the REAL me?

Then it dawned on me.  When I asked myself why, I went back to why I started my blog in the first place.   I started my blog to document a journey.  My blog is a journey of my life, my children, my husband and my fitness adventures.

corn maze3

Life is a journey;  there will be 2:09 half marathons.

finish2

 

There will be 2:21 half marathons.

Decker Challenge 2010 020

None of that changes me.  None of that makes me less of a mom, less of a wife, daughter or friend.  So what if I’m slow (for ME).  I’m out there making a better, healthier body for MYSELF. 

Forgive me for reminding myself, in this post, to love me.  To not allow thoughts of what others might be thinking to creep into my head.   To post ALL my 11 plus minute mile runs and continue to KEEP IT REAL. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not as good as I once was, but as good once as I always was and it's GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!! You are wonderful - don't forget it! xoxoxox G.

beachgooloo said...

Awwwww.... hang in there.. u will get there... I struggle with so many of the same things but... these times we should use as reflections on what we can do and appreciate the ups... I have to rend myself all the time that if today was perfect there would be no need for tomorrow. U have more admirers than nay sayers. You motivate sooooo many. Not because you do a sub 10 min mile but because u are u. And we love all of what makes u ... u!

Veggie Angie said...

This is my favorite post ever. XOXOXOXXO

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

AWESOME!! And thank you :) I struggle with the same thing. I'm on the daily mile, and for a while, I was only recording my faster than 10 minute mile runs to save face (from who, I don't know!).

If I was having a slow day, I wouldn't post my pace. What's with feeling like a pokey jogger if you run slow?? It's ridorkulous!! So THANK YOU for being honest and REAL!

And I think you look gorgeous in your pearls, AND in your running get up!

p.s. I suck in EVERY TIME a camera is pointed at me :)

Wanna Be a Skinnie Minnie! said...

Love your post! I struggle with this daily! I feel like if I don't run my fastest or hardest everyday, then I am a failure at running! I think we all go through this! Thanks for being real! I agree with Midlife Cruiser... you look great in your pearls and running gear!

Ronald said...

well played susan, well played.

Ronald said...

well played susan, well played.

Veggie Angie said...

This is my favorite post ever. XOXOXOXXO

Post a Comment