Monday, January 3, 2011

Life is Your Own

One of my friends had a quote as her Facebook status today and it got me thinking.

“The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.” --Bob Moawad

When I read that quote I couldn't help but think about the day I decided to change my life for the better. I realize that not everyone who reads my blog is a mom or even into fitness for that matter, but I think anyone can read that above quote and apply it to anything you do in life.  Debt.  Accomplishing a work project.  Finding your soul mate.  Whatever it is, the quote can apply. 

For me, realizing that my life was my OWN was a big deal. No one was going to make me fat or thin. I was in control of my life and my destiny. Now I don't believe for a moment that there won't be people to rely on or lean on along the way but I get what he is saying.  You can't use anyone else as a crutch or allow anyone else to hold you back.  No one can go out and do a run for you, no one can write your grad school paper for you, no one can nurse your child for you and no one can make you stop using your credit cards.  You might as well get used to the fact that your life, no matter how difficult or how many challenges, is yours and yours alone.



If you start to accept your life as a gift you will appreciate its significance and value. Life is a journey and there will be many ups and downs. It is up to YOU to decide if you will go through this journey happy or sad, fat or thin, healthy or not. It is up to you to determine the QUALITY of the life you lead.

Finally accepting responsibility for what is making you unhappy in life (in my case it was being overweight and unhealthy) will make you realize only you have the power to fix it. Only you can give yourself a better life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only YOU can control how you feel and what you do! Well said - you have come to this conclusion much sooner than most! xoxo G.

Lindsay and James Cotter said...

wow, great quote and beautiful blog post. I needed to hear this today. Cheers!
LC

Anonymous said...

Your a wonderful writer and I find myself always identifying with your thoughts. Thank you for sharing yourself selflessly. I learn something about myself when I read here...
JH

Ronald said...

i took a big step this year in improving my life...what a great quote.

Lindsay and James Cotter said...

wow, great quote and beautiful blog post. I needed to hear this today. Cheers!
LC

Ronald said...

i took a big step this year in improving my life...what a great quote.

Post a Comment