Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Make New Friends but Keep the Old

When I lived in Pittsburgh I had lots of friends and a ton of acquaintances.   I hate to admit it but I might have taken it all for granted.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think I took my friends for granted just the fact that I had them to begin with.  I love you friends. 









A lot of my closest friends I worked out with.  Jami and I spent at least 4 days a week (most weeks) at the gym together.  Tracey and I spent almost every Sunday doing our long runs together and biked a lot too.  I miss my friends terribly and I especially miss my workout buddies. 

I've been making some friends here in Texas but I need a running buddy!  Running those LONG miles alone just isn't appealing to me.  I know lots of people do it but I love running along side my friend talking about what's going on in our lives, gossiping or just discussing.  As a matter of a fact, I told Tracey during one of those long runs how I always wanted to start a blog.  She promised she'd read it!  Thanks Trace! 

First run of 2010! 

So I did it!  I went out on a limb and asked someone I just met if she'd like to do long runs together.  Guess what?  We're going out for our first run together on Sunday.  She's training for the 1/2 marathon and I'm doing the full so her mileage will always be less than mine but I'll take it! 

Everyone say hi to Julie!


I think part of being successful in anything you do is finding what works for you. For me, combining girl time and workout time WORKS! 

Julie told me about a great running trail only a couple of miles away from my house.  How did I not know about this?  The trail is 6.75 miles long, the first 2 miles are concrete and then I guess it changes into a trail.

First run of 2011! (scary pic)



Today I set out to do 4 miles and welcomed the change in scenery.  I was in heaven.   This trail was great.  I guess it is even more scenic in the spring.  I only got to see the first 2 miles (I did an out and back) so I'm eager to see the rest on Sunday.

Seeing as I haven't run (or exercised) in over three weeks until yesterday, I was pleased with my first run of 2011.




Sure that was an 11:08 average and normally I'd be unhappy with that but I am honestly embracing every single run no matter how slow.  I'm thankful that I'm out there and I'm doing it!  I feel so good afterward no matter what.  I never regret a run, EVER! 

I'm excited to run the trail again on Sunday with Julie.  Don't worry friends, I might make new friends but I'll never forget the old!  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job...omg your going to smoke me Sunday! :)
Julie

Tracey said...

I am writing this through tears since you have replaced me. How could you do such a thing???

Only kidding- I am so glad you have found someone to run with. It is such a great motivator to have a partner. I still wish you were at the corner waiting for me on Sunday mornings when I just can't get myself out of bed. Good for you for getting your run in today too. I think you have more determination in your little toe than I have in my whole body! I have no doubt you will finish this marathon and be so proud of yourself.

Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold. A circle is round, it has no end. That's how long I'm going to be your friend. (Yes, it is a Girl Scout song and it is corny, but it is true!) Love you too.

Anonymous said...

Glad you found a buddy to run with. Have fun - you will do great! xoxo G.

Anonymous said...

Glad you found a buddy to run with. Have fun - you will do great! xoxo G.

Anonymous said...

Nice job...omg your going to smoke me Sunday! :)
Julie

Post a Comment