Thursday, January 13, 2011

Niner

Since when is 9 miles not a long run?  Since when is 9 miles a normal weekly run?  Since I began MARATHON training I guess.  Wrapping your head around 9 miles 4 days after 14 and 3 days prior to 18 is NOT easy.  It isn’t easy for me anyway.
Today’s run proved to be my worst run since my scary run on Halloween.  First of all it was cold (low 30s) and I hadn’t dressed warm enough.  Secondly, someone filled my legs with lead.  Damn kids!
I’m going to admit that I am frustrated that I am still so slow.  I know it doesn’t matter but I’m still frustrated.  It seems like no matter the situation, I just can’t get myself to run faster. 
time
9 Mile Run
  • Mile 1: 11:49
  • Mile 2: 11:07
  • Mile 3: 11:11
  • Mile 4: 10:59
  • Mile 5: 11:06
  • Mile 6: 11:34
  • Mile 7: 11:06
  • Mile 8: 11:35
  • Mile 9: 11:34
Total 1:42
Average 11:20
I was trying to be aware of my body during each mile so I could figure out what is going on.   I was really cold and tight at first.  As a matter of a fact, I didn’t start feeling warmed up until 36 minutes into the run.  As you can see, I was able to then achieve a blistering 10:59 pace at mile 4. 
I like to think my pace was slowed a little too by all my picture taking.  You know that could quite possibly add 3 seconds to every mile. 

sdt
Just around mile 4 I saw an insane man.  I determined this because he was doing hill repeats on this hill.
hill
This is the scene from the TOP of the hill.  It is so hard to capture hills in photos.  Let me just tell you this hill is a BITCH (I know bitches)!  Anyway, the insane dude had a butt smaller than mine and I instantly hated him as I do most you skinny ass people. 
At this point I started discovering new parts of the trail but I was not enthused.  I was just waiting to hit the 4.5 mile marker so I could turn around and head home. 
out and back
I thought I’d get the rush I normally get knowing half the run was over and be able to kick it into “high” gear.  The rush never came, but the blisters did.  I have a huge blister on my big toe. 
I appreciate that a run is a run and I’m happy to have run 9 miles on a weekday.  Again, who am I?  I really think increasing my mileage so quickly is taking its toll on my body.  I might skip my run tomorrow and do the elliptical instead.  I haven’t been smart adding so many miles so quickly and I do not want to risk an injury.  I just don’t know.
One thing I am certain of—Running causes wrinkles.  Can you believe it?
dam laugh lines

8 comments:

Tyly said...

Way to go! You have beautiful eyes, by the way. :)

MomSwimBikeRun said...

@Tyly awww thank you

Anonymous said...

Good job!!!! And I'm with you- that hill blows!!!

Anonymous said...

Remember the plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinitis, etc.....beware they rear their ugly heads!!

I am so impressed with your determination. Maybe I should start a blog so I have a motivator??? Nah. Who wants to read MomEatLazyRN?

xoxo

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

You know what they call a person who crosses the finish line (no matter what the time)??
-A marathoner!!!!

Girl, you are doing great. The fact that you're out there running 9 miles in thirty degree weather shows your dedication.

Nellie

Anonymous said...

You did it - that's what matters. Just run, you don't have to be really fast - right? xoxoxo G.

Ronald said...

I recently read an article in last month Outside magazine about training in your dead zone. I would highly recommend if you can grab the issue with James Franco on the cover (plays Aron Ralston in 127hours) read it. It will definitely help you to adjust your runs so that you work toward that PR. (commentor note...susan you are awesome no matter the speed) but i know how important improvement is for your psyche!

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

You know what they call a person who crosses the finish line (no matter what the time)??
-A marathoner!!!!

Girl, you are doing great. The fact that you're out there running 9 miles in thirty degree weather shows your dedication.

Nellie

Post a Comment