Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pain in the Feet

Today was my longest run on my training plan.  TWENTY miles.  I knew this would mean 4 plus hours of running for me so I packed accordingly, 5 Gu Gels.  Turns out I should have packed a meatloaf sandwich or something!  By mile 8, I was STARVING. 

The temperature was pretty warm.  It started off around 50 degrees and ended at about 70.  I had on shorts, my sweet Steeler socks, a tank and a long sleeve shirt (that I quickly ditched in Julie’s car). 

sdt

Julie is getting over a cold/sinus infection and hasn’t run all week.  She had 9 miles on her training plan for today but due to the way the trails are laid out she agreed to do 10 with me.  She was struggling today (as one would expect dealing with illness) but really pushed through.  I was pretty proud of her.

julie

Julie getting her stretch on

The first 10 miles were “easy” for me.  I was talking non stop and basically just enjoying the time with Julie.   I love that I am able to break down a really long 20 mile run into 10 miles (with a friend) and 10 miles alone. 

20 mile Run:

  • Mile 1:  12:18
  • Mile 2:  12:19
  • Mile 3: 12:47
  • Mile 4:  12:40 -----> Gu
  • Mile 5:  12:35
  • Mile 6:  12:44
  • Mile 7:  12:04
  • Mile 8:  12:46 -----> Gu
  • Mile 9:  13:18 -----> Poor Julie was hurting Sad smile
  • Mile 10: 13:09 -----> Strong finish for Julie and she heads out

When Julie left my mind was in the right place but my belly was grumbling for “real food” and my feet already hurt.  I had a pretty good 5 mile jaunt and then things really started to unravel.  I was in serious pain.  My breathing and heart rate seemed to be even and under control but my IT bands, hamstrings and my feet…. OMG MY FEET hurt so badly. 

I tried to tell myself to just slow my pace even though I knew that it wasn’t my breathing that was causing me to struggle.  I knew in my mind slowing my pace was only prolonging the pain but I just couldn’t get my body to move.  I stopped and walked maybe 2 times (for about 30 seconds each) but it only made things worse when I tried to start back up.  

I saw a “mantra” on the bridge and decided to adopt it for the next 5 miles of my run.  I would focus on one point up ahead.  I would not focus on the full 5 miles left but just the one point ahead of me.  I’d like to say it was a miracle and things improved but it only helped a little. 

breathe 

Honestly from mile 18 on it was basically a hobble.  My feet were toast and my ego was hit hard.  I couldn’t help but think what I would do if I had 26.2 on the schedule today.  Would I have been able to do it?  Would I have been strong enough to finish? 

  • Mile 11:  11:57
  • Mile 12:  11:34 -----> Gu
  • Mile 13:  11:45
  • Mile 14:  11:58
  • Mile 15:  11:42
  • Mile 16:  11:48 -----> Gu
  • Mile 17:  12:09
  • Mile 18:  12:18 ------> Last Gu
  • Mile 19: 13:02
  • Mile 20:  12:38

Total:  4:07:45

Average:  12:23

When I was finally finished I felt somewhat defeated but I know that each day and each run is different.  I still have three weeks left of training to prepare myself for 26.2 miles.  Today was just another valuable training run to prepare and humble myself.  I might have to rethink my 5:00 marathon goal, but hey I’m flexible!

flexible

Don’t forget to click the TopMommyBlogs icon on the side bar of my page.  Just clicking the link from my site gets me a vote.  I’m currently number 71… We can do better Winking smile!  Thanks everyone!

9 comments:

Angie F. said...

Yay!!!! I am SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED that you toughed it out. SUPERWOMAN!!!!!

XOXOXO

p.s. I think you meant "mantra" ;)

Tyly said...

Way to go!!! And you're even more amazing for wearing those socks!!!

Juliette said...

You are so awesome!!

Anonymous said...

20 miles?? Good Lord, that is farther than I DRIVE to work each day. How incredible is it that someone painted those "mini blogs" on that bridge. Keep it in mind.....you are going to have to have a talk with those feet and find out what they need......xoxoxoxxo G.

Ron said...

Your body has never done that kind of distance before, so it is definitely revolting against its keeper! Hopefully the next run isn't as bad!! You might want to look in to some sort of compression sock as well?

Tracey said...

I give Julie a lot of credit. I ran with a sinus infection once and it was torture! Good job on finishing 20, Susan. That is a huge accomplishment. I wish it had felt better for you. I wonder what is going on with your feet. Do you have new sneakers? Are they blistered? Maybe it was your socks? I am just trying to figure it out-
Every run is different and hopefully your next long run (is it 12?) is much better. You never know how you you will feel the day of the race- hopefully it will be a great day for you. You will finish and feel wonderful and be ready to train for another one in the fall :)

A-Nik said...

Great job Susie!! I agree with Tracey...it was those socks! (Although I LOVE them). Stick to a true running sock...and you know how experieced I am with running and all of the marathons that I do. LOL. Just in everyday life, if I wear a weird pair of socks my feet "hurt" too. Not a blister thing, but achey even. Weird. Congrats on that run...you are going to rock the marathon!

the hoppe pad said...

That is amazing! You make me want to go outside and run! You are going to do so great during your marathon!

Tracey said...

I give Julie a lot of credit. I ran with a sinus infection once and it was torture! Good job on finishing 20, Susan. That is a huge accomplishment. I wish it had felt better for you. I wonder what is going on with your feet. Do you have new sneakers? Are they blistered? Maybe it was your socks? I am just trying to figure it out-
Every run is different and hopefully your next long run (is it 12?) is much better. You never know how you you will feel the day of the race- hopefully it will be a great day for you. You will finish and feel wonderful and be ready to train for another one in the fall :)

Post a Comment