Monday, January 17, 2011

Rolling With It

I spent 3 hours and 34 minutes running shuffling my feet yesterday.  Wrap your head around that!  I could have almost watched ALL of Gone With the Wind or the first two Twilight movies.  I could have driven to Houston or Dallas.  I could have hopped a flight home.  You get the picture, it was a LONG time.  

So how does one feel after running for 3 plus hours?  Why thank you for asking, I have an answer.  One feels like an 80 year old woman that needs a walker. 

granny

Seriously, yesterday after my run I felt like I could barely walk.  I had a mini massage session with George and the kids and I really think it helped A LOT.

jtt rollingwnt rolling 

I bought George a Tiger Tail and The Grid foam roller for Christmas.  I didn’t know at the time that I would be taking advantage of both myself.  You see, I’m not one for stretching no matter how many times George bitches at me lovingly reminds me to do it.  However, running longer distances my body is feeling it.  I felt like I needed to try something. 

I think both of these products are great and can’t decide which one is better/more useful. 

You can roll your hamstrings,

hamstring 2hamstring roll

calves,

Rolling 020

and the all important IT band, (OMG hurts so good, or actually it just hurts and you hope it’s doing some good) and much much more.

IT 2IT ouch

There are so many uses for both, you’d be surprised what you can find to do. 

Rolling 065Rolling 066Rolling 074Rolling 072

Seriously though, I think rolling did SO MUCH for me.  I was never a believer until today.  I woke up feeling a lot better and after a few more small rolling sessions today, I really feel great.  I also made a conscious decision NOT to workout today.  I think it was the right decision.  Even though tomorrow is a rest day, taking off a cross training day isn’t going to make or break my marathon. 

Here is what is on tap for training the rest of the week:

  • Tuesday: Rest
  • Wednesday: 5 miles and strength
  • Thursday: 9 miles
  • Friday: 5 miles and strength
  • Saturday: Rest
  • Sunday:  14 miles (I thought it was 20 but that is next week)

I have one more week of 35 plus miles of running and then the taper begins.  Until then I hope marathon training doesn’t knock me on my behind.

Rolling 071

6 comments:

Lindsay and James Cotter said...

i have a love/hate relationship with my foam roller too. OUCH!
LC

Tracey said...

I have been wanting to get one of those. You just talked me into it.

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

MAN! I knew there was a reason I should have had kids!!!!! :) hehe!

Anonymous said...

Who knew there were rollers for THAT! oxoxo G.

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

MAN! I knew there was a reason I should have had kids!!!!! :) hehe!

Tracey said...

I have been wanting to get one of those. You just talked me into it.

Post a Comment