Monday, January 31, 2011

Scalpel Please

Today was doctor day.  Oh doctor how I love thee and waiting in thy office for… well basically for hours.  It all starts with the Physician’s assistant coming to get me.  He proceeds to asks me questions pretty much irrelevant to anything the doctor might need to know.  He then asks me to wait.  I take pictures of Jack to pass some time.  Okay I took one and this was it. 

jtt

Doctor Cunningham comes in and decides he’d like to give me a steroid injection to help me be pain free.  He then asks the PA to come back in for prep and for me to get in a gown.  Jack takes a picture of me.  There was one.  This is it. 

gown

The PA comes back in and preps the materials needed.  He mutters some small talk and seems utterly disgusted by his job. 

prep

The Doc comes back in to administer the shot.   He swabs and stabs me with a numbing needle full of lidocaine.  I believe the saying “this might sting a little” is a tad of an understatement.  I believe my statement of, “yeah that didn’t feel good” was true and correct.  After he stabs me, he walks away and wipes his nose all while leaving the needle sticking in my shoulder.  He gets a good guffaw out of it all.  Oh the life of an orthopedic.  What a hoot. 

After the actual shot, which felt equally as good (some numbing agent) he asks the PA to come back. 

shoulder

I find it hard to believe that his time is so valuable that he is unable to spare a second to slap on a Bandaid himself. 

I no longer try to figure out this cat and mouse game of Doctor and PA.  I pay my $38 and I’m on my way a little perplexed by what just went on and a little jealous that I don’t have an assistant. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a racket - it's all about the $$$$ Hope the shot helps! xoxoxo G.

Juliette said...

Omg- that painful to read much less have to go thru! UGH! I'm sorry!

Ron said...

on the bright side, jack is growing up so much!!!

Ron said...

on the bright side, jack is growing up so much!!!

Juliette said...

Omg- that painful to read much less have to go thru! UGH! I'm sorry!

Post a Comment