Saturday, January 15, 2011

Stairway to Seven

I grew up in the 70s.  I learned early on that if you’re a Pittsburgher you like football.  It doesn’t matter who you are, come Sunday you better be in front of your television cheering on the Black and Gold. 

super bowl intense

I was born the year the Steelers won their first Super Bowl and was alive and cheering for all the rest (ok maybe I wasn’t cheering in ‘75 and ‘78).  I do, however, remember the 1979 game against the Rams.  I was just 4 years old but I knew it was exciting and I experienced my first “real” super bowl victory. 

jack roethlisberger

Now granted there were the years of Bubby Brister and Cliff Stoudt (I once got his autograph) but I never stopped cheering on my beloved Steelers.  No fair weather fan here!

I would wait until 2005 to see the Steelers win a Super Bowl as an adult but the wait was well worth it.  The Steelers had received the one for the thumb.

thumb

2008 brought one of the most exciting, nail biting, make-me-want-to-vomit game of my life.  There was a slew of my family gathered to watch the big game and it was intense!!!  Victory against the Cardinals never felt so sweet.

super bowl

Later that year the Penguins would go on to win the Stanley Cup.  Pittsburgh had become the City of Champions.  Nicholas thought Super Bowls and Stanley Cups were the norm.  I’ll admit, I can get used to it!

Going for 7

Stairway to Seven!

5 comments:

A-Nik said...

How could you fail to mention the "Tirch kid in the Rocking Chair" good luck charm that got us through both play-off runs and SuperBowl victories the last two times??? It didn't matter which Tirch kid it was...it always worked! (although, the smaller the better seemed to have better results). Go Steelers!

Tracey said...

Pittsburgh's support of their team is like no other. It has really caught on here. When we moved here in 2000, Nate was a Jet's fan. No longer. Ours kids are so into the Steelers too. I think it is great!

Ronald said...

this post just makes me smile...

Anonymous said...

My husband just read your blog over my shoulder and his comment is- "I'm tellig you man, its culture you dont understand unless you grow up in it". While I didn't grow up in it the way he did, his commitment and love of the team has completely taken me over and I'm proud to be a Steeler fan!
Julie

A-Nik said...

How could you fail to mention the "Tirch kid in the Rocking Chair" good luck charm that got us through both play-off runs and SuperBowl victories the last two times??? It didn't matter which Tirch kid it was...it always worked! (although, the smaller the better seemed to have better results). Go Steelers!

Post a Comment