Saturday, January 22, 2011

Whet Appetite

Training for a marathon is a bit consuming.  You have to feed your marathon “appetite” for all things marathon. You wake up thinking what is on your training schedule, you think about shoes, clothes, blisters and PRs.  You dream of crossing the finish line at night. 

So when I put Spirit of the Marathon in our Netflix queue I think George was a little skeptical.  This documentary watches six runners from vastly different backgrounds train for the the Chicago Marathon.

spirit

10 minutes in and George was hooked.  There is just something about watching someone else train for, and then run a marathon that lifts your spirits.  You can be an 80 year old man or a 20 something Kenyan, a Boston qualifier or a run/walker.  It doesn’t matter, at the end of 26.2 miles you’re a marathoner. 

As each of the runners followed in the movie crossed the finish line I felt myself welling up with tears.  I felt so emotional for all of them.  I guess because I know a little about what they have been through.  I know when my day comes to cross the mat there will definitely be tears shed.  I am more psyched then ever for my moment.  Just 28 more days!

Austin_Marathon_and_Half_Logo_2010

In the meantime I will continue to train and fuel my tapeworm actual appetite.  I really don’t think it’s a coincidence that I feel hungry ALL the time.  I burn about 100 calories per mile I run and trust me when I tell you my body tells me to eat every one of them back.  I don’t mean to, it just happens.  I can see why people actually GAIN weight during marathon training. 

Today’s fuel came in the form of BBQ from The Salt Lick

food

Someone please come visit me so I have an excuse to go back and eat here when the marathon is over! 

I have 14 miles on the training plan for tomorrow and I’m headed to Town Lake with Julie just to break up the scenery.  I’m sure there will be plenty of picture documentation come tomorrow.  Saying that was just to whet YOUR appetite.  Until then “chew” on this.  

fam

By now you should be FULLY satisfied. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having fun and feeling accomplished is the most important thing! xoxo G.

A-Nik said...

Good luck on your run tomorrow. I don't think I realized how quickly the marathon was coming up. I was thinking late Spring for some reason. Yikes. Like your new background btw.

Wanna Be a Skinnie Minnie! said...

I am running the Austin half!!! Good luck on your run today!!! :@)

Ron said...

Mmmmm that dinner looked awesome! Christine and I will have to come visit!!

Enjoy your 14 miler tomorrow!! 28 days left...so excited for you!

A-Nik said...

Good luck on your run tomorrow. I don't think I realized how quickly the marathon was coming up. I was thinking late Spring for some reason. Yikes. Like your new background btw.

Anonymous said...

Having fun and feeling accomplished is the most important thing! xoxo G.

Post a Comment