Tuesday, February 22, 2011

MY Inspiration

It all started with an overheard conversation at Nicholas’ soccer game.  I was probably going off about how I was going to ride an astounding *wink wink* 12 miles on my pink bike and another mom heard me.  She asked me if I was a rider and said that we should ride sometime together.  Sure I thought, she’ll never call, it was just small talk on the soccer field. 

But sure enough she did call and the rest is history.  That “other mom” is one of my good friends Tracey, a four-time marathoner and mother of three.  She is an inspiring woman—both an avid cyclist and runner.      

ts sdt2                          

When Tracey and I started to ride together she had just come off the 2009 Pittsburgh Half Marathon.  She said that she and her friends were going to do another Pittsburgh half (The Spirit of Pittsburgh) in the fall and I should consider training with her.  Haha I thought, I was no runner.  Honestly I wasn’t.  My longest run at that time was 5 miles and I had only done that a handful of times over the course of my LIFETIME.  I told her I hated to run, and I truly did. 

Somehow Tracey convinced me I could do it and we started training together in August of 2009.  You see, I haven’t been a runner for long (just one and a half years).  In fact, I’ve never even been an athlete.  I never played sports and I am the klutz of the family. 

Tracey was my inspiration. Her children are almost the exact same ages as mine, she’s an involved, devoted mother and she showed me that I could do it.  And in November of 2009 I ran my first half marathon. 

finishers

I’ve run two other half marathons since then including The Pittsburgh half marathon in May of 2010 and Decker Challenge this past December.

Pittsburgh half marathon 2010decker challenge3

My point is, you don’t have to be born a runner.  You don’t have to be a long time runner or even an athlete.  All you need is a little inspiration.  For me that was Tracey.  She showed me you can be a mom (and a good one) and still be a runner.  She taught me how to train and how to love running. 

Thank you Tracey for giving me something in my life (besides my family) to be passionate about.  Thank you for being my mentor, but most importantly thank you for being my friend and CONSTANT support even from 1200 miles away.  YOU are my inspiration… and I just thought you should know.

tracey

8 comments:

Karina said...

Susan,
I have been following your blog, I am truly in awe. I follow, because I too, would like to run. I love to walk, however, I have another addiction I need to rid myself of first. Congratulations on a successful run! Just wanted you to know, that you too, are an inspiration to others!
~Karina

Anonymous said...

....and the inspiration keeps moving on and on and on............awesome!! xoxoxo G

Tracey said...

Thanks so much for this. I truly don't know what to say. You have successfully made me cry twice in one week. I miss you so much. Running just isn't the same without you. You inspire me too!

Tyly said...

What a great post! I'm sure you helped keep her going too. Keep going ladies! You're an inspiration to us all!

Julie Harmon said...

Very nice!!

Faith Ann said...

Congratulations on your marathon!!! I enjoyed your recap :)

I can definitely relate to your story, I'm not an athlete, a "born" runner or someone *anyone* would look at and guess that I'd run a marathon lol.

I bet you've inspired more people than you know!

Ron said...

everyone should be reading this blog! its excellent susan!

Karina said...

Susan,
I have been following your blog, I am truly in awe. I follow, because I too, would like to run. I love to walk, however, I have another addiction I need to rid myself of first. Congratulations on a successful run! Just wanted you to know, that you too, are an inspiration to others!
~Karina

Post a Comment