Wednesday, February 2, 2011

U Rock

I think I’ve alluded to the fact before that I have some pretty incredible siblings.  I have two sisters and a brother and I am the “baby” (aka the fave, right mom?).  My sisters are extremely intelligent, creative, talented women.  Sometimes I look at the things they are able to do with awe.  I love and respect them both so much. 

sisters and mom

My brother is one of the most intelligent, funny, quick-witted people I know.  I always think that if I were stranded on a desert island I would definitely like to have my brother along.  He also has a fabulous, tolerant and incredibly beautiful wife (but that has nothing to do with the story).

tdd asd

Although I accept the fact that I am the inferior sibling, it doesn’t stop me from trying to “keep up”.  Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever stopped idolizing my oldest sister Amy.  She is almost 8 years older than I am and I have always looked up to her.  I’ve learned many valuable lessons from her along the way.  It doesn’t matter that I’m an adult, she is someone I can always aspire to be a little more like.   

4th of July 2010 044

So one day when I was innocently telling my sister Amy about the Valentines I bought for Nicholas’ preschool class, I was VERY QUICKLY informed that store bought Valentines were sub-par. 

Sidebar:  Now please remember that I had already purchased my pre-made Valentines and was happily going about my life.  I , therefore, see NOTHING wrong with store bought Valentines.  So please do NOT think that anything else I have to say is knocking anyone who uses commercial Valentines.  In fact, I think you are the smarter of us! 

Anyway, Amy went on to tell me about the airplane Valentines she made out of lifesavers and juicy fruit gum for her son’s Kindergarten class.  I was ruined.  I would never be able to live with myself if my sister knew I passed out Thomas the Train Valentines.  And so it began. 

I will, however, say that I’ve had a lot of fun creating homemade Valentines over the years and I love love love seeing all the ones that we get from other students from year to year.  This particular Valentine is my favorite and since we are at a new school this year I couldn’t resist repeating it. 

iPod Valentines

Materials:

  • Tape
  • 2 (14-inch) pieces of string
  • 2 hershey kisses
  • 1 (1-ounce) box of conversation hearts
  • half sheet pink paper
  • Glue
  • Sheet of white printer paper or printable scroll wheel and playlist

materials2

Instructions:

Tie 2 –14 inch strings together making a knot in the middle. 

string2

Wrap the pink paper around the candy box and secure it with tape. ( I just wrap my like a present.)  Before securing the the bottom end tape one end of the string to the bottom of the box.  Fold paper over string and secure with tape. 

bottom

Print scrollwheel and playlist here.  Cut out along dotted line and secure with glue. 

wnt2

Attach Hershey kiss to the end of each string using tape (I used packing tape and have used duck tape in the past). 

bottom

We added stickers to the back that said “U Rock” and Nicholas signed his name.  You can come up with any other clever saying, use stickers or whatever you like to personalize the Valentine on the back. 

wnt

finish2

2 down and 41 to go.  Thanks Amy, U Rock!  

Don’t forget to vote for me at TopMommyBlogs.  All you have to do is click the icon on my sidebar.  Nothing else, just a simple click.  Much appreciated.  You can also like me on Facebook by clicking here

8 comments:

A-Nik said...

LOL - I'm sorry I ruined you! The iPod valentines are the absolute best....better than anything that I've ever done. And...I don't think that I was that harsh about the store-bought valentines...I think they are just fine....just not for me. BAaahahahahaha. You are not the inferior sister you goof! We are all equal...except for in Mom's eyes...you are the favorite!! Filet and crab legs anyone???

Tracey said...

Those are awesome! I would steal the idea, but our school district is ridiculous and you can't send any candy into school for parties- even to bring home. It is one of those things that infuriates me because I can't do anything about it (enough of my rant). Nice job on those- all the other kids are going to be jealous that they don't have Valentine's like that!

Faith Ann said...

Those are the coolest Valentines ever!!

My son has *never* come home with a homemade Valentine. I thought everyone went with the store-bought kind! I already bought two boxes of Phineas & Ferb cards with bookmarks, but if I had seen this post first, we would totally have made iPods!!

Wanna Be a Skinnie Minnie! said...

That is way cute! I remember when I was little my mom would not be caught dead buying store bought anything. For every party we had at school we always had something homemade to take! Have fun making them... they are just too cute! I might have to steal this idea for my little 2nd graders! :o)

Anonymous said...

This is great - I hope Nicholas and Jack marry someone that can keep up!!! xoxoxo G.

Ron said...

wait, so if amy is 8 years older than you does that make you 21?

nicholas is going to have beat the groupies off with a stick after those valentines!

Sara V. said...

Inferior! HA HA HA! Right! I think you got the wrong sister! Love you! And your Valentines are awesome!

Wanna Be a Skinnie Minnie! said...

That is way cute! I remember when I was little my mom would not be caught dead buying store bought anything. For every party we had at school we always had something homemade to take! Have fun making them... they are just too cute! I might have to steal this idea for my little 2nd graders! :o)

Post a Comment