Monday, March 7, 2011

Age is Just a Number

March 7th, 1943-- My dad’s birthday.  Sixty-eight years old and still going strong!  If you think you can’t do something just because you’re “older” then you’re just lying, and honestly limiting, yourself. 

Tirch Family Birthday Bash 2009 001

My dad runs.  In fact, this summer he trained for a marathon with his friend, but not to run the marathon himself.  He ran ALL the training runs with his friend (including the 20 miler) with no intentions on running the marathon himself.  He just did it for fun.  What?!?!

wdd2

My dad and I have actually run probably about 4 races together.  He’s beaten me in all of them but one.  Never mind that he was injured and running through the hills of Pittsburgh (he’s from Indiana), I still beat him.  Muahahahaha

Potty Training and Just a Short Run 014

My dad also is a cyclist.  Last summer he rode the now infamous Tour de Cure with me, biking seventy-five hilly miles on his hybrid bike.  SEVENTY-FIVE miles!!!!

wdd

My favorite bike ride with my dad was the Hilly Hundred in Indiana.  We rode 50 miles through the scenic hills of southern Indiana and then woke up the next day and did it again! 100 miles over two days with your dad. It’s pretty cool.  

Hilly Hundred 002Hilly Hundred 008

My dad reminds me that age is just a number.  He might get the senior citizen free drink at Taco Bell, but he’ll kick your my ass in a 5K or Half Marathon. 

Having said all that, my dad is more than just a running or cycling “buddy”.  He’s supportive and encouraging to me in all my fitness efforts.  In a lot of ways my dad inspired me to get out there an do something to start with.  If he could do it, what was my excuse? 

Above everything else that my dad is-- he’s PaPa Dan.  The funniest, craziest, best PaPa my kids could ask for.  They think he’s just a big kid.  It’s just another way my dad reminds me.. we’re all young at heart. 

Thanksgiving 2010 002

Happy birthday dad!  We all love you!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww....this is so very sweet.
<3
xoxo
P.S. did you shed any tears typing it? cuz I just did!

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet. How lucky you and your kids are! xoxoxox G.

A-Nik said...

Go Papa Dan! I'm so ashamed of my fitness failings! LOL!

Ron said...

that is very nice susan! Happy Birthday PAPA Dan!

Julie Harmon said...

That is soooo Awesome! Your a lucky girl!

Ron said...

that is very nice susan! Happy Birthday PAPA Dan!

Anonymous said...

Awww....this is so very sweet.
<3
xoxo
P.S. did you shed any tears typing it? cuz I just did!

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet. How lucky you and your kids are! xoxoxox G.

Post a Comment