Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fartlek.. Oh My

Today it dawned on me that I’m running a half marathon in 26 days and hoping to PR and I have NO PLAN.  I’m also training to do a 100K cycling event.  100K is 62 miles.  We may drop down to the 41 miler if we feel like we need to do so.  Truth be told, I just ran for almost 5 hours so I know I can ride a bike for that long too.  We’ll see what the “old man” wants to do come April 3rd.  Just like him to hold me back Winking smile 

tour de cure century 2010 007

Regardless, I haven’t ridden my bike since my accident (June 2010) and I need to make sure my shoulder can handle it.  Not only that, but my body needs to adjust to riding a bike again.  Although I am reasonably fit right now, if I don’t get out there and ride for some longer amounts of time my butt, back, neck and lady bits will hurt to high heaven. 

why am I smiling

So I did it!  I sat down and took a hour to write out a training plan. This isn’t based on any specific training program.  It’s based on what I think will work best FOR ME and my schedule. 

3 week training program

I have to base my workouts on what I can do and when I can do it.  That made a whole lot of sense right?  What I’m trying to say is I have to do long runs on Sundays (when there are no sporting events for the kids).  I have to do gym workouts on Mon/Wed/Fri when I have Jack and I have to do my long bike rides on Tues/Thurs when ALL the kids are in school. 

I’m incorporating strength training 3 days a week as I think it is so important for event training.  I did strength training during my marathon training, but not nearly as much as I would have liked.  This is due, in part, to laziness and my shoulder’s inability to cooperate.  My shoulder is getting a lot stronger which should help me get back to a good weight training routine and some big guns less flabby arms. 

sdt bikini

Since I’m trying to run a “speedy” half marathon I need to do some speed training.  I’m using Wednesdays as my speed training days.  I despise running on the treadmill so anything I can do to break up the monotony will be great.  I’ll be doing what is called a Fartlek.  In my case, I’ll be running 1 minute hard (hopefully a 9:00 minute mile pace) followed by 2 minutes of walking then repeat 6 to 8 times. 

Like I said, this is the training program that I believe will work FOR ME.  I’m no professional, but I do know my body and what I am capable of doing.  I’m comfortable working out 5 days a week and I’m used to a couple of 2 hour plus cardio workouts a week. 

I’m excited for an awesome month of training and some more BLING

sdt finish

9 comments:

Tri4Success said...

Glad you got a plan put together. Definitely need to get some saddle time in though. Regardless of fitness level, if you haven't been riding that 100k WILL hurt and could leave you with an injury. Be smart! Which event are you doing?

Anonymous said...

Looks like a plan to me! I'm backing you all the way!

xoxo

MomSwimBikeRun said...

@Tri4Success... definitely need to get in the saddle I agree 100%. I know being able to run doesn't translate to being able to bike and vice versa.

We're doing Austin Autism Ride.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a plan to me! xoxoxo G.

Ron said...

sounds like a pretty good plan. if you ever need help coming up with speed workouts let me know...i have some fun ones!

Carolyn said...

Wonderful pics! That sounds like a good plan.
Custom Patches

Ron said...

sounds like a pretty good plan. if you ever need help coming up with speed workouts let me know...i have some fun ones!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a plan to me! I'm backing you all the way!

xoxo

Tri4Success said...

Glad you got a plan put together. Definitely need to get some saddle time in though. Regardless of fitness level, if you haven't been riding that 100k WILL hurt and could leave you with an injury. Be smart! Which event are you doing?

Post a Comment