Sunday, March 13, 2011

From Your Failures You Find Success

Today I met a familiar scene when I headed out with Julie for my first long run, and only my second run at all, since the marathon.  We had planned on doing ten miles but Julie had a LONG day of work ahead of her so I “let” her get off with just eight. 

sdt jkh

Not today (I forgot to snap a pic.  GASP!)

8 Mile Run:  Total:  1:42  Average:  12:47

Sidebar:  For some reason my Garmin will NOT download my workouts.  I am so frustrated with it.  If anyone knows anything I can do to make it work I’m open to all suggestions! 

It really felt good to get out there and be running again.  I have been so busy lately with getting the house together, baseball, hockey, soccer, dance and George being out of town more than he’s been in town.  I have NOT been doing the training I need to be doing in order to PR at Rock N Roll Dallas.  It is ok though because I really believe my body needed the time to recover from the marathon anyway.  It all works out in the end. 

finish5

Rock N Roll Dallas is March 27th (two weeks from today).  I’m excited because I get to run a race and I get to do it in a new city.  I’ve never been to Dallas so this will be a bit of an adventure.  I’m also excited to run in my first Rock N Roll event.  I’m not going to be mad that I’m slower than I’d like to be.  I’m going to be happy that I’m out there doing it and thankful that I can.  It wasn’t long ago when I could barely walk let alone run. 

surgery

If nothing else, this was a good look no? 

My mom put a quote on her Facebook today and I think it’s really appropriate for a runner’s life. 

Out of frustration grows patience, from tears you find strength, and from your failures you find success.

Everyone is going to have an injury or a bad race sometime in their running career.  The frustration of not being able to do what you love makes you more patient.  Similarly, feeling the defeat of a bad race definitely breeds frustration, but if you’re patient enough to wait for the next race, it WILL get better.  So go ahead and shed a tear if it makes you feel better.  Crying let’s you know you’re vulnerable and it is okay to “fail”.  From vulnerability you find strength—The strength to ACCEPT that you can’t change the past and letting go of the “what could have been”.  Doing that, in and of itself, is success!

Congratulations to my friend Angi on completing her first half marathon.  So proud of you! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh - the light bulb goes on! xoxoxox G.

Ron said...

Nice! Did you try downloading the software update for your garmin? there is an update available i believe...

if not...maybe call their customer service??

Ron said...

Nice! Did you try downloading the software update for your garmin? there is an update available i believe...

if not...maybe call their customer service??

Post a Comment