Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Half Marathon Hangover

Today I woke up still feeling the effects of the half marathon—a half marathon hangover, if you will.  As I got the kids off to school I dreamed of my moment alone, sipping coffee and laughing at Ellen.  Not soon after Ellen was over, the guilt started to set in.  My inner voice starting whispering in my ear to get out there and do something.  I ignored it.  The whispers soon turned into a clear voice.  The voice was telling me that I was using the half marathon as an excuse to not do anything.  The truth is, I would feel better if I got out there and did something.  Damn Thank you voice in my head!  I laced up my shoes and I went.

running feet

3 Mile Run

  • Mile 1:  10:23
  • Mile 2:  10:35
  • Mile3:  9:51

Total: 30:50:05

Average:  10:16

I felt really good in the beginning, but my pace quickly faded over the first mile.  I could definitely feel it in my hamstrings.  My mind knew I should just slow my pace and do a nice EASY recovery run, but my heart kept telling me to push.  I wanted to prove to myself that I can make my body do what I want it to do.  I wanted to prove that even if you want to sit on the couch watching Real Housewives of Miami, you can get out there and do something productive. 

Once I hit the turn around point (1.5 miles) I ran without looking at my pace.  I was basking in my accomplishment of getting off the couch.  In some ways, days like today are more satisfying than a big race.  Days like today remind me that it’s good to get hot, red and sweaty.  It doesn’t matter how you get there, but the way you feel once you’ve arrived.  

sdt red sweat2

Here are a few of my official race photos from Rock N Roll. 

sdt jkhsdt2sdt3finish sdt

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure how you do it, but you sure are inspiring! xoxoxox G.

Wanna Be a Skinnie Minnie! said...

Way to go!! I think my body feels better after I run a half when I make myself go run or go to the gym!!! I need to stretch better!! :@) Good Job! Hope you have a good Wednesday!!

Julie Harmon said...

Good job! Your photos across the finish line are super cute, too!

Angi said...

I <3 your finish line photos!!! oh and i <3 you!

Angi said...

I <3 your finish line photos!!! oh and i <3 you!

Anonymous said...

Not sure how you do it, but you sure are inspiring! xoxoxox G.

Post a Comment