Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Pushed

Today I planned to go to the gym, but just to do cardio.  I’ve been bogged down with volunteer stuff for Nicholas’ school so I only had time for cardio.  On the way to the gym I asked myself what the heck I was doing.  It was a gorgeous, sunny day and I was going to run on the treadmill???  NO THANK YOU!  I’m just not used to all my stuff being out of storage, so I wasn’t automatically thinking jogging stroller.  I ran it by the boss Jack and the decision was unanimous; we would run outside.

jtt

His “smile” makes me laugh, maybe we can get Ella to teach him what’s what.

After my 10 miler pushing Jack on Monday, lots of people had comments about not being able to believe I pushed him that long.  Truth be told, when I push the jogging stroller, I’m not pushing Jack, I’m pushing myself. 

I could have easily gone out today and run at a comfortable pace, but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you have to get uncomfortable.  You have to push YOURSELF.  You’ll only get out of a workout what you put into it, so why not put in the work?  My goal was to run a 10:30 pace.  I pushed.

The first mile I realized was a gentle downgrade with some “major” hills.  If you’re just looking at the trail you’d be inclined to think the first mile was flat, but I could tell there was a slight slope because I could let the jogger get out ahead of me and not have to push at all.  When it came to the hills I wanted to walk, I wanted to take the easy way out.  I pushed. 

sdt jtt

When I hit mile 1.5 (not soon enough) I chugged some water/Gatorade mix and turned around.  The sweat was pouring into my eyes.  It was so hot and the sun was blaring down.  My breathing was heavy and I wanted to quit.  I pushed. 

temp

Since I did an out and back mile 1 (slight downgrade) now became mile 3 (slight upgrade) and IT KILLED.  Every big hill and even the slightest grade tested my will.  I even stopped and walked for 2 steps and literally said out loud, “What am I doing?”  I pushed. 

5K Run

Mile 1:  10:15

Mile 2:  10:29

Mile 3:  10:57

Mile 3.1:  9:40

Total:  32:42

Average:  10:32

time

When it was all said and done, I was a hot, red, sweaty mess but I felt SO good.  I just barely missed my goal of an overall 10:30 pace, but I didn’t go out there and take it easy.  I went out there with that jogging stroller and I pushed. 

sdt2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - well I'm still "running" errands!! xoxox G.

Ron said...

(spell check...)

gentile? should be gentle right?

nice run! i wish it was sunny and warm here...golf ball sized hail today!

Anonymous said...

Wow - well I'm still "running" errands!! xoxox G.

Post a Comment