Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bluebonnet Run

I would love to be one of those people that could get up at 5:30 am and go for a run.  I’m just NOT a morning person. Today I got a particularly slow start to my morning.  Ella and Jack didn’t have school today because they are widening the road in front of their school and the electricity was going to be out most of the day.  When I don’t have anywhere I HAVE to be, I’m a waste.  I do things slowly.  By the time I got moving out the door today, it was almost 9:30 and I had to be back before 11:00.  Basically, it wouldn’t be worth it to go to the gym (not enough time) so I decided I would head to the running trail. 

Does anyone see a problem with this?  TWO kids and ONE jogging stroller.  Actually I have 3 jogging strollers (that’s a story for another day), but they are all singles.  Ella is 5 years old, I figured she could scooter for 3 miles.  She would have some fun and I would get in a decent workout.  I always feel good if I do at least 3 miles. 

Blue Bonnets 030

Blue Bonnets 002Blue Bonnets 026

She did fabulous for the first mile.  She was happy and smiling and often times out ahead of me.  (Sad but true).

Blue Bonnets 001

We took a little break at just over a mile to take some pictures with the Bluebonnets.  The Bluebonnet is the Texas state flower and a pretty big deal here.  I figured it was the perfect opportunity for an impromptu photo shoot.  (i.e. don’t mind Ella’s windblown hair.)

eet close up 2jtt eetjtt

We started back on our run/scooter/ride, we were almost to the half way point and turn around, and Ella was really complaining that her butt hurt.  I guess it’s hard to hold one leg on a scooter for so long.  I tried to get her to change legs, but if you know Ella, you know the coordination isn’t there.  I wonder where she gets it.  I pushed her to keep moving; I had to make it to 1.5 miles before we turned around. 

Once we hit the turn around we stopped for a much needed water break.  The princess was sweating and working hard… and so was Ella.  Winking smile

Blue Bonnets 025

Ella did a really good job up until right around 2 miles.  I could tell she really was hurting.  It was either walk or let Jack be the runner.  Jack agreed that he would relinquish his throne and let Ella ride for awhile.  I think my garmin read 2.14 miles before he gave up.  Not to be defeated, I slung Jack up on Ella’s lap and we were off.  I was now pushing close to 90 lbs of kid and stroller.  I asked for a workout and I got it. 

3 Mile Run

  • Mile 1:  11: 58
  • Mile 2:  11:45
  • Mile 3:  11:32

Total:  35:19:23

Average:  11:45

All things considered, I’m pretty happy with today’s workout.  People often ask how I am able to get in my workouts AND be a mom.  Well, sometimes it takes pushing 2 kids in a single stroller with a scooter on top and I’m MORE THAN ok with that.  Sure, I don’t want to do it every day, but I do love involving the kids in my exercise routine. 

Blue Bonnets 034

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm- You have 3 jogging strollers now and I believe I sold 2 others in our garage sale before you left - like Jack has 50 shirts or slacks or both - How funny - Ella did great = that's an awful lot to expect of a little girl - she's gonna hurt tomorrow - and the scooter ride was tough too! xoxoxo G.

K cubed said...

Pretty impressive. And Ella's outfit is adorable as well as great impromptu bluebonnet pictures. Yesterday I set out for a 1 mile (yes I said one) run/walk with Klayton on his bike and Kenzie in a stroller and it was all Klayton could do to finish

Tri4Success said...

2 kids in a single stroller with a scooter on top? Makes me appreciate my little athletes. Running's hard enough (from this cyclist's point of view). Great job getting the miles in!

Ron said...

annnndddd your third mile pushing 2 kids, a scooter and a stroller was the fastest of the three miles...NICE!

A-Nik said...

Too funny!!! I see that you dressed Ella appropriately for outside sporting activities. LMAO!!! Cute outfit....whomever bought that for her? I miss these kiddies so much...it hurts to see them growing up without me! I'm going to have to scrape some dough together and get down there....hmmm....what can I sell?????

A-Nik said...

Too funny!!! I see that you dressed Ella appropriately for outside sporting activities. LMAO!!! Cute outfit....whomever bought that for her? I miss these kiddies so much...it hurts to see them growing up without me! I'm going to have to scrape some dough together and get down there....hmmm....what can I sell?????

Ron said...

annnndddd your third mile pushing 2 kids, a scooter and a stroller was the fastest of the three miles...NICE!

Post a Comment