Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Brick by Brick

Today was an important day.  Today was prove-to-yourself-that-you-can-still-do-a-tri-day (minus the swim).  Today I would attempt the brick workout.  A brick workout is basically “stacking” one workout up against another.  Today’s attempt was a 10 mile bike followed by a 2 mile run.  Coincidently (or not) that is the same distance for Sunday’s Rookie Triathlon.  I set up my “transition area” and I was ready to go. 

Brick 003

I went with a friend of mine, Lindsay,  who is also doing the triathlon on Sunday.  I think we both just wanted a confidence boost going into Sunday; we wanted to know we could do it.  The 10 mile bike is the same route I’ve done two times in the past week.  I knew I could tackle that portion with no problem.  (I anticipate the course on Sunday will have a LOT more hills, but I will just not think about that right now.  Good plan right?)  I can bike and I can run; today’s focus was reminding my legs what it is like to bike and THEN run. 

why am I smilingsdt

I’ll be honest, starting the run after 10 miles of biking was a bit of a challenge.  My legs felt mostly like Jello at first, but it wasn’t long before I felt in the groove.  I haven’t worked out with Lindsay before, but I suspected she was a faster runner than I.  I was worried about holding her back so I pushed to maintain a 10 minute mile.  I had a cramp in my side pretty much the whole second mile, but I knew I could tolerate it for the distance.  I’m glad I pushed myself a little past comfortable and at the end I felt pretty good.  I think I’m ready for this race. 

Brick Workout: 10 Mile Bike, 2 Mile Run

  • Bike Mile 1:  3:53
  • Bike Mile 2:  2:54
  • Bike Mile 3:  3:13
  • Bike Mile 4:  3:14
  • Bike Mile 5:  3:51
  • Bike Mile 6:  4:17
  • Bike Mile 7:  4:37
  • Bike Mile 8:  4:54
  • Bike Mile 9:  4:56
  • Bike Mile 10:  4:26
  • Run Mile 1: 10:10
  • Run Mile 2:  10:08

Total Time:  1:01:46

Average Bike:  4:31

Average Run:  10:09

Has anyone else recognized that I haven’t swam AT ALL?  I plan to do a quick “trial run” on Friday.  Honestly 300M shouldn’t take more than 7 or 8 minutes.  I can not drown swim for 8 minutes right?  You should be nodding right now.  Up and down not side to side.  There you go!  You’re right, thanks, I got this!

Now… about those transitions!

Brick 002

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well here you go again! Good Luck - be careful! xoxoxo G.

Tracey said...

Good luck! It has to be better than swimming in the river. I was nodding my head up and down. You can definitely do the swim with no problem.
I can't wait to hear about it.

Tri4Success said...

No problem. You've got this tri handled. Just remember to mentally run through your swim to bike transition since you haven't been doing that part.

Ron said...

(nodding head)

yep...you can always doggie paddle your way through it ;)

A-Nik said...

You will be great...as always!!! Where is the swimming portion??

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Woman said...

so awesome! Did you do any tri's here in the pittsburgh area? I'm looking for a good beginner tri.

A-Nik said...

You will be great...as always!!! Where is the swimming portion??

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Wo said...

so awesome! Did you do any tri's here in the pittsburgh area? I'm looking for a good beginner tri.

Tracey said...

Good luck! It has to be better than swimming in the river. I was nodding my head up and down. You can definitely do the swim with no problem.
I can't wait to hear about it.

Post a Comment