Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Today I realized—Dorothy Susan, we’re not in Kansas Pittsburgh anymore.  I’ve spent the entire time since we’ve moved to Texas (8 months) running outdoors, but I think that might be coming to a close.  While most people are starting their outdoor running, I’m might be packing up and heading indoors.  The heat today, at 9:30 am, was brutal and it did NOT translate into a pretty run. 

temp

I started off with the intention of doing 10 miles.  I’ll admit, my mind wasn’t really behind this run so I knew it had to be ideal conditions to make it happen.  I texted Julie for moral support and set out on my way. 

The sun was blazing and by 2.6 miles I knew I wasn’t going to make it the full ten.  I’m just not used to running in these temps and I honestly figured there was no point in torturing myself.  I’m not training for any longer races right now, so what was the use?  If only I had COURAGE! 

I turned around at the 3 mile mark and felt like I NEEDED to do something to cool myself down.  At this point I texted Julie asking for “permission” to quit.  She tried to convince me to slow my pace and keep going.   If she only had a HEART! 

At just over 3 miles I found the showers and soaked my head and shirt.  There were onlookers, there were stares, I think I even heard whispers.  I didn’t care, I was cooling off (and taking pictures of it… perhaps that’s why they were whispering… ohhhhhh).  If I only had a BRAIN.

sdt3

Since I had given up on my original 10 miles, I wanted to give the 6 all I had.  My body fought me every step of the way.  I started just watching my shadow because when I watched my shadow I felt fast.  Seriously, my shadow really seems to cruise along.  It worked up until about mile 5 and then even my shadow was moving slowly. 

shadow

Sucky Six Miler:

  • Mile 1:  10:31
  • Mile 2:  10:37
  • Mile 3:  11:18
  • Mile 4:  10:48
  • Mile 5:  10:55
  • Mile 6:  11:21

Total:  1:05:35

Average:  10:55

I can’t be unhappy with myself.  I don’t know if I’ll have the “power” to run in the heat, but I’ll never know unless I keep on trying.   Like Glenda the Good Witch says, you can’t be shown you have the power.  You have to learn it for yourself. 

So I’m going to follow run on the “yellow brick road” in hopes that it will lead me where I want to go!

9 comments:

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Woman said...

hahah, don't feel so bad. it was 84 degrees today, and muggy as usual from all the recent rain!

Tracey said...

You'll just have to get out before the sun comes up to try to beat the heat.
I know how much you love running really early :)

Good job today!

Haley @ Climb Run Lift Mom said...

Great run! Especially with that heat :)

uthmama said...

living in Texas as well and yes, it was 92 first thing this morning. We run at night - as soon as the sun goes down, we hit the road. For long runs, we go Saturday mornings early - 7 am. We drive our water to the half way point so we stay hydrated. Hang in there, you'll body gets adapted.

Anonymous said...

Hydrate more than usual - be careful. You can do anything your body will allow you to do....even "while away the hours, conferring withe the flowers" xoxoxo G.

Ron said...

You need to start running before the sun gets too high in the sky in those temps. I assume being a mom first getting up to run at 530 or 6am is out of the question...but that is going to be your savior if you need to run outside. And like Anonymous G said...HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE.

Tri4Success said...

It takes time but you will adjust. Hydrate more and find more ways to run early or late. I hate to tell you, but the temps aren't brutal yet. Brutal is July and August. Right now, it's just warmer, muggier, and windier than usual. Brutal is when we get 20-40 consecutive days of triple digits.

Anonymous said...

Hydrate more than usual - be careful. You can do anything your body will allow you to do....even "while away the hours, conferring withe the flowers" xoxoxo G.

Tracey said...

You'll just have to get out before the sun comes up to try to beat the heat.
I know how much you love running really early :)

Good job today!

Post a Comment